Complaint Review: Ancestry.com - MyFamily.com

• Submitted: Tue, May 04, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, November 15, 2012

• Reported By:Fenton Michigan
Ancestry.com - MyFamily.com
www.ancestry.com Provo, Utah U.S.A.

Ancestry.com & Myfamily.com free trial ripoff cost me $100!!! They will not cancel!!! DONT USE THEM!! Provo Utah

*Consumer Suggestion: Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

I signed up for their "free 14 day subscription" as well. I used the service the day that I signed up (which, I believed I was signing up for a 99.95 ANNUAL membership, not Quarterly!).

I never used the service again. I called to cancel the subscription, and they said My cancellation would take place in JULY!!!!!!!!!!!! And in the meantime they were going to charge me 99.95 for the subscription that I never USED!!!! They said there was no way for me to get out of the charge. I called them back and asked them for a detail listing of my costs, they said that it was unavailable because they believe I signed up through a "pop-up". What the heck is the difference???? I still signed up with them!! Ive contacted my Credit Card company, am refusing to pay. They can report me if they like, they WILL NOT get a DIME from me!!!

Amanda
Fenton, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2004 08:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom-MyFamilycom/Provo-Utah/Ancestrycom-Myfamilycom-free-trial-ripoff-cost-me-100-They-will-not-cancel-DON-90084. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com - MyFamily.com

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

AUTHOR: Dustin - (United States of America)

I have been a user of Ancestry.com for the last four years (not continuously). The reason for it not being continuous has been due to my schedule and free time available for genealogy research. I have never had a problem canceling a trial membership before being charged, I have never had a problem canceling a paid membership before a renewal, and I have contacted the customer service several time over the last four years. The customer service has always been very nice to deal with. They are always helpful, and I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't cancel a membership after it was paid (assuming that it was within a short period of time since the membership started). The only reason I feel the need to post this is that Ancestry.com is a great resource for family history, and I don't want people to be discouraged from using the site due to the reviews here.

In short:

- Call the 800 number (800-Ancestry) to cancel or report a problem.
- Like any bill, stay on top of due dates and cancel before the expiration to avoid renewal charges
- This site has more records on family history than any other and is money well spent for someone interested in researching family history.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC