Complaint Review: Ancestry.com - Myfamily.com

• Submitted: Mon, August 30, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, November 15, 2012

• Reported By:Lafayette Louisiana
Ancestry.com - Myfamily.com
360 West 4800 Provo,, Utah U.S.A.

Ancestry.com. Myfamily.com rip-off! I cancelled before the fourteen days free trial was over and because of no cancallation number. I can't get a refund. Provo, Utah

*Consumer Suggestion: Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

As I stated before. I called July 30, 2004 and told them I was having problem getting the information and Sunday August 1, 2004 was the end of my free trial period. The Lady She would try to correct the problem. I said ok but I still wanted to cancel.

I received my credit card bill, and found out that they billed me for $99.95. I called back and a man ask me for my cancellion number. I said I had none. He than stated without a number there is no refund. I said that they were only a big rip off.Keep the money but no more.

Anthony
Lafayette, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/30/2004 11:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom-Myfamilycom/Provo-Utah-84604/Ancestrycom-Myfamilycom-rip-off-I-cancelled-before-the-fourteen-days-free-trial-was-ov-106096. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com - Myfamily.com

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

AUTHOR: Dustin - (United States of America)

I have been a user of Ancestry.com for the last four years (not continuously). The reason for it not being continuous has been due to my schedule and free time available for genealogy research. I have never had a problem canceling a trial membership before being charged, I have never had a problem canceling a paid membership before a renewal, and I have contacted the customer service several time over the last four years. The customer service has always been very nice to deal with. They are always helpful, and I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't cancel a membership after it was paid (assuming that it was within a short period of time since the membership started). The only reason I feel the need to post this is that Ancestry.com is a great resource for family history, and I don't want people to be discouraged from using the site due to the reviews here.

In short:

- Call the 800 number (800-Ancestry) to cancel or report a problem.
- Like any bill, stay on top of due dates and cancel before the expiration to avoid renewal charges
- This site has more records on family history than any other and is money well spent for someone interested in researching family history.