Complaint Review: Ancestry.com

• Updated: Thu, August 08, 2013

• Reported By: Brittany Irene — Wickliffe Ohio
Ancestry.com
Internet, Select State/Province USA

Ancestry.com failed cancelation without sympathy Internet

I signed up for a monthly billed account on Ancestry.com in early 2013. Went through the free trial and decided to stay another month. When I could no longer find interesting information, I cancelled the account online on March 20th.

About a week ago, I find out I am still being billed 35$ a month, so I go online to see what is going on. I emailed ancestry.com and got no response. After three days, I go online and cancel the subscription for a second time. I again email them another two times.

After becoming fed up with them not sending me a response, I decide to call their customer service number. The man looks through my account and sees I have not been on the account since March 20th up until this incident, August 5th. I tell him that I cancelled it and I feel ripped off.

He said I didn't cancel it, that when an account is canceled an email of cancelation is sent. I never got that email, but when an internet page pops up and says that the account has been cancelled, I believe it.

Maybe that is naive, but anyway I asked him if there is anything he can do, that I have lost 175$ with nothing to show for it. He tells me that it depends on how you look at it whether you've gained something from that money or not. I asked him what perspective should I be looking at it, he goes on to tell me that from an accounting perspective everything was perfect.

The nerve! He showed no sympathy and bascially said they got their money so the accountants are happy and the fact that their website did not fully unsubscribe me didn't matter. I know I should have seen this happening months before, and expecting a full refund was a little out there, but to be treated in this manner without any attempt to make up for my loss is ridiculous.

On top of it all, I tried to go back on the website to email them again or to post on their community boards to try to get help, he completely disabled my account, so everything I did find in my first month-month and a half of searching has been lost. I feel violated by this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2013 12:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom/Internet-Select-StateProvince-Internet/Ancestrycom-failed-cancelation-without-sympathy-Internet-1074200. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com