Complaint Review: Ancestry.com

• Submitted: Wed, March 06, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, March 06, 2013

• Reported By: David — Falls Church Virginia United States of America

Ancestry.com Hidden recurrent billing , Internet

I signed up to ancestry.com some 7 months ago. I am usually extremely good at looking out for small print language indicating there will be an automatic renewal on the web based services I sign up for--and I am a professional editor. But I must have "missed" this one. A month ago, I was charged $150 to renew my membership in the account. No attempt was made to contact me prior to the charge, and they certainly never sought my approval for the renewal.

I only found out about the charge when I looked over my bank statement. When I called to ask for a cancellation and reimbursement, I was told that I had only seven days from the charge to apply for a reimbursement. Since they don't tell you they are charging you that renewal fee, you would have to be very lucky to discover they are charging you within the time frame they set forth.

This strikes me as pretty obviously a scam. I'm hoping some enterprising lawyer undertakes a class action suit; if so, please sign me up for it! (And if you know of any underway, please let me know.)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/06/2013 03:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom/internet/Ancestrycom-Hidden-recurrent-billing-Internet-1024561. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com