Complaint Review: Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com
http://www.ancestry.com Internet U.S.A.

Ancestry.com Illegally drafted my bank account Internet

*Consumer Comment: Not part of the LDS church, and that what is the problem

*Consumer Comment: Respone to "take a pill maybe"

*Consumer Comment: Take a pill maybe?

*Consumer Comment: WHY DID YOU PAY WHEN YOU CAN GET THIS FREE?

*Consumer Comment: Who owns Ancestry.com and The Generations Network

*Consumer Comment: Ancestry.com and the "Mormon" (LDS) Church

I subscribed to Ancestry.com 4 years ago and gave them my debit card to draft the yearly subscription. I cancelled the account by phone 1 year later and have had no problem until this month when I got a letter from my bank notifying me my account was overdrawn due to a debit from Ancestry for $229.00 creating a minus on the account causing a $35.00 overdraft.

This company is a branch of the Morman Church, and it looks like they are sneaking around drafting former members accounts. I tried to call the company and all lines are busy. it looks like the only recourse is a Lawsuit to put them out of buisness.

I was able to stop them from drafting my account after this, but will probably never get my money back. it is time someone put a stop to this Robery. poor old Jesse James wears a bad mark on his family name to this day, but Jesse had to use a gun to rob the rich and help the poor. these Criminals use a computer to rob the poor to enrich themselves.

Larry
Des Arc,, Arkansas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2008 01:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom/internet/Ancestrycom-Illegally-drafted-my-bank-account-Internet-349711. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com

Not part of the LDS church, and that what is the problem

AUTHOR: Living out my dream in the mountain - (United States of America)

Ancestry.com is not part of the LDS church. The LDS church allows you full access to all of their data without charging anything. LDS online library is free , and they even have consultants in local libraries all for free.

Respone to "take a pill maybe"

AUTHOR: phrustrated - (USA)

As someone who has given considerable effort toward trying to work with Ancestry.com and get them to fulfill the obligations, for which I pay them, I agree wholeheartedly with the comments made by Larry in Arkansas. I also found many of the comments by "take a pill maybe" offensive and pointless as this person has obviously zero personal experience dealing with the ancestry behemoth.

Pill - If you have not had the personal displeasure and frustration of dealing with this company, do not attempt to tell those of us who HAVE that we are being trivial in filing reports against them.

There are literally thousands of complaints against this organization, the way they handle their billing, the way they handle CURRENT customer complaints. Just type in "complaints against ancestry.com" and see what pops up. Please educate yourself before berating those of us who are fed up. As one who has, I can assure you that it makes no difference if you DO get them on the phone...they will not resolve your problems or refund your money for services not rendered. I am staying on just long enough to copy my information.

Thank you.

Take a pill maybe?

AUTHOR: Our Entire Credit System Is A Rip-off - (U.S.A.)

This sort of thing is common even with reputable companies. What this person has described here is a mistake, not a rip off. It is not that difficult not only to stop a company from debiting your account, it is also not that difficult to have the charges reversed by your bank. Most banks will do it with a simple form filled out explaining to them why the charges should not have been taken.

Some don't like to do it, and will give you friction, explaining that you should work it out with the company, and well, you should. Busy phones a time or two trying to call them, and just giving up isn't really an honest effort to clear the problem up. This is a huge company. But every time I have not been able to get trough to a company, or get them to cooperate, I have ALWAYS been able to have the charges reversed.

Did this person bother to write to them? You have access to the computer, or you wouldn't have had an account with them. I have cleared up a large number of mistakes like this, and am usually able to get the overdraft charge on top of it with just a series of emails. Yes, they would try not to pay the extra charge, but if you are tactful and persistent enough, you can almost always get it.

This person does not sound as though they really tried hard enough. Picking up the phone, hearing a busy signal, then filing a Ripoff Report is not really trying at all. If I were as riled as this, I would be spending my time getting my money back, not filing a report here. If that failed, then I would be posting here.

Perhaps the money didn't really mean as much to them as they make it sound.

WHY DID YOU PAY WHEN YOU CAN GET THIS FREE?

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

ANCESTRY.COM IS IN THE COMPUTERIZED DATABASE OF MOST MAJOR PUBLIC LIBRARIES.FREE!

YOU CAN GET IT IN THE LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTERS WHEN NON-MORMONS ARE WELCOME TO COME DO FAMILY RESEARCH THERE. THERE IS A REASON MORMONS ARE GENERALLY CONSIDERED THE WORLD'S TOP FAMILY HISTORY RESEARCHERS --I ENJOY COLLABORATING WITH THEM AND THEY HAVE NEVER TRIED TO PROSELYTIZE ME YET!

GO TO CYNDI'S LIST ON GENEALOGY! GOOGLE IT.

CHECK OUT ROOTSWEB.COM

HAPPY FAMILY HUNTING!

Who owns Ancestry.com and The Generations Network

AUTHOR: Adrenals - (U.S.A.)

Here are some links that explain the relationship between Ancestry.com, and its owners:

1) The wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com. This illustrates part of the relationship Ancestry.com has with the LDS Church.

2) An interview of the CEO Tim Sullivan by Diane Hadad of the Genealogy Insider:

3) The Generations Network Acquired by the Spectrum Network Investors:

The Spectrum Network Investors owns The Generations Network. Notice the similarity between the two names.

Ancestry.com and the "Mormon" (LDS) Church

AUTHOR: Adrenals - (U.S.A.)

Ancestry.com is NOT owned, nor run by the LDS church. None of its billing practices, nor the treatment of its customers would EVER be condoned by the LDS church, nor by its teachings.