Complaint Review: Ancestry.com

• Submitted: Tue, October 02, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, October 02, 2012

• Reported By: thetruth — Williamsport Pennsylvania United States of America
Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com online family tree maker Internet

I called them months ago and canceled my service when we were financially down and out and they took money out of my account two weeks in a row.  Even after canceling, they continued to charge my account.  I called them up again and they told me that it was never canceled and they couldn't refund any of the charges.  So I asked them to cancel it again.

Both times I got confirmation numbers.  Then the charges kept coming out every month out of my account and I told myself since the problem with the company wasn't with the product but the company, I would go ahead and use it.  I got charged last week and again today.  This time though, my husband is out of state and limited on funds and this charge was not only unexpected, but put him in a serious situation that left him unable to eat for a week.

I called my bank and they told me to once again call the company.  I called the company and they said that they couldn't refund the money because it is against company policy to refund the money on monthly subscriptions and/or change the billing date.  I told him I would be just fine if he could take it out this friday instead of today, but he was not willing to work with me.

He said I could cancel it and start it back on another day if I wanted to change the billing date, but that's it.  I told him, "So, since I cancel today and that the fee hasn't even posted on my account yet, I get refunded that $35 fee?".  He said no cause they don't refund for monthly subscriptions.  I told him that it is fraud to charge for a service when no service is rendered.  He replied that I would still have service until November and that is how they get around that.  I told him, "But I just canceled".  He said it is because that is the way the company works.

No, that is unacceptable.  My bank is investigating the whole thing and I am gonna contact my lawyer over it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/02/2012 08:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom/internet/Ancestrycom-online-family-tree-maker-Internet-949615. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com