contrary

• Updated: Mon, August 08, 2011

• Reported By:east lansing Michigan
Andersen Windows &ecco Company
Nationwide U.S.A.

Andersen Windows & ecco Company ripoff I had an andersen storm screen door installed by Home Depot about 6 mo ago It is virtually impossible to change from the screen insert to the storm window insert I have had several people try as well as myself to no avail Home depot refuses to come to my house to put in the window insert and tells me to call andersen for support and technical assistence I discussed the problem with Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: junk storm doors and hardware.

*Consumer Comment: Same here...

*Consumer Comment: I too have this door and have the same prblem

*Consumer Suggestion: I own one of these doors too.

*UPDATE Employee: You all are missing the point

*Consumer Comment: You've missed the point, Mike!

*Consumer Suggestion: Why Blame Andersen?

*Consumer Comment: I have the same door

I have a storm/screen door that was installed by my local HOME DEPOT-- an andersen (ecco) door. It is virtually impossible to change to the storm glass insert due to the lousy design I've had other people try and they gave up!! Home Depot refuses to come and do the job and tell me to call "THE ANDERSEN CO" for their people to do it. Several calls to andersen were fruitless! The FINAL number was 1 800 933 3626 (customer support)where I talked with PATRICK (he wouldn't divulge his last name) PATRICK said there was nothing he could do and said I should go back to Home Depot!! Back to square one!!

This door was installed only 6 mo ago and cost $300.00.
I could go here but you all know what I'm talking about.
Thanks,

Robert
east lansing, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/22/2004 03:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Andersen-Windows-ecco-Company/nationwide/Andersen-Windows-ecco-Company-ripoff-I-had-an-andersen-storm-screen-door-installed-by-Ho-119330. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Andersen Windows &ecco Company

junk storm doors and hardware.

AUTHOR: ben - (USA)

My wife brought one of the new full view doors home from
home depot last week. I have assembled junk from china that was ten times
better quality than these things Anderson
calls storm doors.

Lets start with the Philips head screws that dont fit a
screw driver no mater what type of bit you use.

Then you have self tappers that strip out the flimsy aluminum
parts before they ever go in strait on parts that could have been assembled at
the factory.

The reason some of the parts are not put together at the
factory is because they strip out so easy that by the time you try to assemble
them a second time at home they would never hold.

I only went a little way into the install process before I decided
to return this junk to home depot.

I do not normally go to places like home depot because of
these types of products to begin with.

Same here...

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

I also had this storm door, and to say it was a PITA would be an understatement. Not only are the plastic strips a poor design, they tend to crack, and I am pretty sure have a short lifetime.

I chalked it up to experience, and replaced the door after two seasons. Based on this I wouldn't buy Andersen again. I thought I was paying top dollar to get a premier product. It was a dog.

I too have this door and have the same prblem

AUTHOR: Libby - (U.S.A.)

I too purchased an Emco storm door from Home Depot in late 2004. In spring 2005 the handyman who originally installed the door removed the glass panel for me and put in the screen panel, but the screen was always loose in the door and not held in securely. This fall I removed the screen door and attempted to replace it with the glass door. I spent two hours trying to figure out how to get the side strip retainers to hold in the door with no success at all. Several people I know attempted to help me with this job, two of whom are experienced do-it-yourselfers and are quite handy at home repairs, etc. We went online to the website for Emco and printed out the instructions so we were certain we were doing the steps correctly. We were able to get the two side strips installed 3/4 of the way, but not the entire way. The top and bottom strips won't go it at all!
This morning I called Emco about the problem and they took down my information and are passing the problem along to Home Depot. I will await developments as to whether or not HD does something about this.

I agree with the sentiment that the design of the door for alternating between the screen and the glass is a very poor one - it just shouldn't be that hard to do. I think the manufacturer needs to stand by their product and make it right for consumers like me who have found it impossible to work with. Whatever happened to user-friendly engineering??

#4 Consumer Suggestion

I own one of these doors too.

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

I have a 3000 series door (installed August 05), which it sounds like you have or similar. Yes, it is a pain to snap in the retainers, for the first time, but, it gets easier. I managed to do it myself the first time, although it was hard. However, HomeDepot and the installer both made me aware of this prior to buying and during the install.

Perhaps ask EMCO customer service to send new retainers, and the manual (the installer should have left, but, most likely didn't)? Perhaps a different set would work better?

You all are missing the point

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

First, their is no such thing as an Ecco storm door - the product name is Emco. Facts count if you are going to make a complaint.

Second, the product is available for you to view and try out at Home Depot. It is the consumer's responsibility to fully understand what they are buying.

Third, while Andersen owns Emco, it is a seperate company. Slandering Andersen is not only irresponsible, it is incorrect.

Fourth, Emco has extremely responsive customer service, and I have first hand experience with their products both as an employee and a customer. The exact problem you are describing is a result of either installation error or shipping damage. You would be better served contacting the installer or the shipper instead of taking aim at the manufacturer.

Sure, I work for Emco so I am probably biased, but I certainly am getting tired of consumers that blame the company that made the product for situations beyond the manufacturer's control.

You've missed the point, Mike!

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

There was nothing wrong with how my door was installed, and the original poster wasn't complaining about his installation, either.

The complaint is regarding the difficulty in switching the screen panel for the storm panel when seasons change. The installer can't be held responsible for what amounts to routine maintenance of the door. The designer of the product is absolutely responsible for the cumbersome process of switching the panels.

The ultimate responsibility lies with those of us who bought these doors, of course. If I had done my homework ahead of time, I would have bought a different door.

As far as libel goes, TRUTH is an absolute defense.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Why Blame Andersen?

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Why are you blaming Andersen? My feeling is, get someone who is willing to fit the door correctly. You are asking Home Depot to fit an Andersen window? That is your first problem, because an Andersen employee did not do the job. They are responsible for upholding the door's warranty, not the installation. Your second problem is the fact that not only have you possibly slandered Andersen windows, who is not at all to blame for Home depot's people inability to replace the door to your satisfaction, but now that you have come on this website, you have put your remarks into writing, thus making it libel. See www.megalaw.com for the following:

"Generally, libel is defamation in print and slander is spoken defamation."

I would get an attorney to fight your case against Home Depot, or get an attorney to defend yourself against Andersen.

I have the same door

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

I have the exact same door, it was also installed by Home Depot. The installer told me at the time that it was a pain in the ass to change the screen & storm window.

He was right!

It takes two people to perform what should be a simple procedure; the plastic strips keep popping out if you've got nobody to hold the first one in place while you get the second one in. I've also used tape to hold them in place while seating the panel.

This is poor design by Anderson; I don't see where Home Depot is to blame at all.