Complaint Review: Andys Sewing Machine Repair

• Updated: Mon, February 17, 2014

• Reported By: ssull — LAKEVILLE Massachusetts
Andys Sewing Machine Repair
Warren RI, Falmouth Ma Warrren , Rhode Island USA

Andys Sewing Machine Repair Andrew Ferranti Sewing Machine Repair Warrren RI and Falmouth MA Rhode Island /m

*Author of original report: Please read what I said before you rant

*General Comment: Skilled Labor

I called about repairing my sewing machine and told the man I had already spoken to someone who wanted a hundred dollars to fix it.  I said I just wanted an opinion and he said he would come to my house.  I wanted to come to him, but he said he didn't have a shop in my area.  He said he would look at it and tell me if it was worth fixing.  He came to my house and I had already taken the plate off for him to see it.  He looked at it and said the bobbin case wasn't in correctly.  He then said the timing was off,  He never mentioned the cost, bus in less that a half hour, he had adjusted the timing screw (using my tool as he did not have the proper wrench)  Then he sanded the burrs off my plastic bobbin case (using my sandin paper) and when he was done I said,, whaat do I owe you, and he said $100.00.  I said "What!  I told you that I didn't want to pay that amount to my own repairman."  He said he doesn't recall my saying that.  He then said he didn't take credit cards and I told him I didn't even have that money in the bank.  He wouldn't adjust the price and I had to write a check to him.  This is an OUTRAGEOUS price for what he did- not even a single part provided and less than an hour of work.  I am so angry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2014 01:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Andys-Sewing-Machine-Repair/Warrren-Rhode-Island/Andys-Sewing-Machine-Repair-Andrew-Ferranti-Sewing-Machine-Repair-Warrren-RI-and-Falmouth-1124230. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Andys Sewing Machine Repair

Please read what I said before you rant

AUTHOR: ssull - ()

I said in the first sentance that I called and said that I had already gotten an estimate and did not want to pay ONE HUNRED DOLLARS for a timing adjustment.  You are intimating that this person is worth $200. per hour (this took 30 min) andhad I been made aware, I would have stted so.   I did not authorize it, he did not offer it and I would have said absolutely not to it.  I am not interested in his expertise, the machine was a $100. machine and I would have gone with a new one.  But he said it was a small repair and I assumed he meant that  it would be less.  He didn't even have the proper tools with him for all his (which you are assuming) expertise, and I proveded the allen wrench and sandpaper. (The allen wrench is the only tool needed for this adjustment of a single screw on the shaft) You are trying to intimate that I was try to get something for nothing, but the fact tht I twice mentioned that I did not think the machine was worth the cost, and I am positive that he ignored me and did it so that he could walk off with a hundred.  His lack of professionalism in not stating up front what it cost and providing a reciept, show that his "expertise" is definitely not up to industry standards.

#2 General Comment

Skilled Labor

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

Its called skilled labor and you have to pay for that. ONLY people trained in it can fix it. That training costs time and money. They take the training so they can make money. So when someone like you calls to have a repair, you are using THEIR skills to repair YOUR item.

Who are YOU to tell them WHAT their time is worth?? Oh thats right, the person who NEEDED their sewing machine fixed. You can be as angry as you like, it wont change FACTS. Why didnt you ask him BEFORE he started how much the job was going to cost?? Oh thats right, youre HOPEING for a free fix.