Complaint Review: Angie's List

• Submitted: Fri, May 06, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, May 06, 2011

• Reported By: Mark SoCal — San Diego California United States of America
Angie's List

Angie's List deceptive advertising from the "recommended services" site! internet

So I keep hearing that Angie's List is a good tool, and I'm moving to a new city, so thought I would try them.  1st surprise, you have to have a paid membership.  So I thought ok, new city -- it's less than $3 a month, probably worth it, and sign up for a year.  (Options incl monthly, one year, 2 yr, 3 yr, and 4 yr -- with some moderate savings for signing up multiple years)  They recommend to pay via Paypal, and offer a discount, so I do that.  AFTER they take your payment, but before you can actually use anything on the site, you must sign a "membership agreement" -- which is many pages long.  But all I had to do was see that I was agreeing to "automatic renewal" to say, "uh, no -- I don't want to agree to that."  But guess what?  You CAN'T opt out of this "option" -- in fact you can't even leave the screen, or back up and cancel membership -- all you can do is close that window on your browser to get out.  Meanwhile Paypal is already saying I've paid Angie's list.  So I think, well maybe now with my membership paid, and username and password, I can sign in.  NOPE -- goes right back to "membership agreement."

Now Angie's List can have whatever requirements they want -- but it's pretty sneaky to list all these "options" at sign up, when in the end you are signing up "forever" no matter which option you choose -- even one month!  Then it's up to you to write them, etc to "cancel" your membership.  I oppose this type of business model in principle, and have bad experiences to back it up.  The company drags out cancellation as much as possible, using as much "technical DQ's" as they can and meanwhile can keep charging you.  YUCK

For this to come from a company that makes it's living solicitly your opinions of companies and services you use is the ultimate insult.  I wish I could list this complaint ON Angie's List -- but this will have to do.

Waiting to hear whether they refund my money -- I've sent a complaint to both Paypal and Angie's List.  Will update later.

But meanwhile -- don't PAY Angie's List, unless you're comfortable with signing up "indefinitely."
Language of agreement also says things like "Angie's List reserves the right to change payment amounts at any time" etc.  It's a completely ONE-SIDED anti-consumer agreement -- which coming from a "consumer services advocacy" site is mind-blowing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/06/2011 07:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Angies-List/internet/Angies-List-deceptive-advertising-from-the-recommended-services-site-internet-726648. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Angie's List