Complaint Review: Animal Hospital Of Polaris

• Submitted: Thu, January 15, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, March 18, 2010

• Reported By:Columbus Ohio
Animal Hospital Of Polaris
8928 South Old State Rd. Lewis Center, Ohio U.S.A.

Animal Hospital Of Polaris LIES TO CLIENTS AND CHARGES FOR SERVICES NOT PROVIDED!! THEFT BY DECEPTION Lewis Center Ohio

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: discusted

*Consumer Comment: AHOP is AMAZING, Criticism not necessary!

*UPDATE Employee: Debbie back off

Animal Hospital of Polaris, in my opinion, consistently engages in acts of deception and fraud.

This clinic offers gorgeous boarding runs at very, very high prices, telling the clients that their pets will be walked six times daily during their hours of 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. However, this clinic's indoor/outdoor boarding runs and outside, enclosed and graveled exercise area were not permitted under local zoning code and were illegally being used. Area residents initiated a lawsuit, and the new "rule" at Animal Hospital of Polaris was that only one dog at a time could be walked for a potty break, and it had to be on lead (a bather/brusher told me that one dog had gotten away and had run out to busy South Old State Rd. and had to be chased by staff).

I was told that 90 dogs were booked for boarding over a recent holiday. Let's use the figure of only 75 dogs, walked for 5 minutes at a time, six times a day. That comes out to 37.5 hours of dog walking between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m, which is, obviously, impossible to do when only one dog at a time is allowed outside. However, there are "activity reports" available for individual owners to review when and how many times their pet(s) were walked. How gullible does the staff at Animal Hospital of Polaris think their clientele is?

The daycare dogs are NOT allowed outside at all. These dogs defecate and urinate on the floor of the daycare room. How these animals maintain housebreaking at home, I do not know, since they are being trained during the day to do their business inside. Owners of the daycare dogs believe that their animals get to go outside for excercise and potty breaks.

In the grooming room, things are no better. Clients are induced to purchase additional services such as toothbrushing, hot oil treatments, and hydro massage treatments, at a cost of $10 individually for each service. The toothbrushing may or may not be given; the hot oil treatment is a quick one spritz from a pump bottle of topical oils applied after the bath, and the hydo massage is a joke. Instead of filling up the tub with warm, swirling water to help an arthritic pet, the bather puts the machine in the tub when the bath begins, with the water running and the drain open! At best it is a toe massage!

Customers asking for a bath and brush out for their pet are being ripped off. I saw dog after dog whose faces had never even been washed -- they had eye matter stuck in the hair under their eyes AFTER the bath. Rectal areas often had gobs of fecal matter stuck to the hair AFTER the bath and had clearly never had soap or water applied. Top brushing, not the brushing needed to remove tangles and knots, was the norm, and customers were often mocked, ridiculed and made fun of.

A pet owner carried in her dog which had just been hit by a car. The vet tech said the dog was in shock and had either a broken pelvis or broken legs but had been sent away WITHOUT treatment because the owner could not post a $300 deposit. I checked with the vet board and this is not illegal, but I believe it is immoral from someone who says they have "compassionate" care. To make the matter worse, the vet had a donation jar on the front counter asking for donations to treat pets whose owners could not afford the treatment!

The owner, Nikki Eaton, obviously attended vet school but certainly missed the courses in how to treat employees. I witnessed three tirades during business hours; she would tell people that they would have to give up their lunch hours; deride and debase middle management personnel within earshot of employees, and she insisted that a groomer work for free because she had gone by ambulance from work to the emergency room at a hospital and had not been there to groom dogs that were scheduled in. Each of these dogs were given free grooms to be performed by the groomer upon her return to work; all of this without the groomer's knowledge or agreement. This vet, during open hours, stood in the front entryway and screamed at a groomer, "Don't mess with this bitch! I'm the biggest bitch you'll ever see!! For once, she was right, but still very unprofessional.

I think this vet bit off more than she could chew when she moved from her old location to this big, 3 plus million dollar facility, and is now willing to do whatever it takes (and I don't mean this in a nice way) to pay the bills. Honesty, ethics, and respect for others don't exist in this building.

K.
Columbus, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2009 02:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Animal-Hospital-Of-Polaris/Lewis-Center-Ohio-43035/Animal-Hospital-Of-Polaris-LIES-TO-CLIENTS-AND-CHARGES-FOR-SERVICES-NOT-PROVIDED-THEFT-B-412275. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Animal Hospital Of Polaris

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

discusted

AUTHOR: anonymoous - (United States of America)

I am an employee that lasted two days working for this place. The aweful things done to the animals they were supposedly helping made me rethink my whole future in the animal care industry. Animals would cry all day long for attention but everyone would sit around playing on their computers as if they didn't even hear them. Customers would complain that their dogs looked or acted different after staying with us and the washer made up a dumb story about how they gave them extra special attention since they recognized the dogs distain for being away from the owner. If you are a customer stay away from this place; if you are someone looking for employment, only join this company if you hate animals and want to see them suffer. This place makes me sick.

AHOP is AMAZING, Criticism not necessary!

AUTHOR: BB - (United States of America)

Wow!  That's quite a bit of information.  You must have been busy doing all of this undercover research, or have been a longstanding customer to have seen so much "rip off" taking place at the vet clinic.  I mean, how close do you have to be to see fecal matter on a dog's anus after a bath.

Are you a disgruntled former employee?  That would explain the over abundance of vitriol in your 'report'.

As a long time customer, I can assure you that I have never seen a more professional FULL SERVICE facility, offering every possible service to a very demanding clientele.  The number of pets Nikki Eaton and her very well qualified staff have saved with critical surgery are too numerous to mention; and the added quality of life is beyond description.  Dr. Nikki and her staff are doing amazing things given the state of the current economy, and she was recently named Small Businessperson of the Year for the Delaware County Chamber of Commerce.  Very high praise from an organization with no 'skin' in the game.

The zoning battle with the Powell city council is much ado about nothing, to overreact and mischaracterize the situation into something it's not, is unfair criticism.  It makes me wonder if you are not one of the "disgruntled neighbors" who willing chose to buy / rent a home in a suburban business district.  Either way, your rant is misguided and needs to rebutted.

Debbie,

First let me begin by saying that you need to quit trying to ruin Animal Hospital of Polaris's good name. I have worked for AHOP for over a year and the only thing I found correct with your report is your math....except that we double leashed dogs and walked them on other parts of the property too when we are busy. So yes, the dogs ARE getting all their walks in each day.

Like Lindsey said you were in grooming only a couple of days each week for the short time you worked there, and you do not know what goes on in other areas of the hospital. Me on the other hand...I have been trained everywhere in the building (boarding, daycare, front desk, phone room, and veterinary services) and I can state for a fact after interning at several hospitals in the area that our prices are comparable and the care of the animals is extraordinary. I have seen the veterinarians bring animals back from extreme illnesses, boarded animals are given extra attention (and extra walks!), and the current groomer has been doing excellent cuts (we are fortunate to have such a great groomer).

Yes, over some holidays we had 90 animals being boarded for a couple of days, but they still received all of their walks...thanks to our wonderful staff who got to work early and stayed late, walking dogs for hours. Over this past spring break a news company (that had heard many complaints extremely similar to yours) even took undercover footage of our hospital (at its worst) and still did not have a story to tell because we took such good care of the animals and kept our promises to clients.

The ironic part of your complaints is that most are about grooming which was your job, so shouldn't you have taken care of anything that you had issues with at that time. We are tired of hearing your protests, complaints, and bad reviews ever since you were fired six months ago. Please move on. At the very least, please post your true name with your destructive campaigning and take responsibility for your objections with the practice.

Debbie back off

AUTHOR: Lindsey - (U.S.A.)

Where to begin on this pathetic accusation of Animal Hospital of Polaris. Debbie you are hilarious with this report posing as someone else. First off, I work in boarding and you worked SITTING on a chair doing horrible grooms. You have NO clue what goes on in boarding or in any other area outside of where you sat. There has never been any animal that has gotten out of the facility and onto Old State Route. We DO walk the dogs 6 times a day, I worked all day with 4 others where there were 90 dogs just doing walking. So don't try and say we "don't walk them 6 times a day". You didn't work in that department and certainly weren't there when we had that many dogs. I can't tell you how many animals have came in who have aggression issues and we have helped them to overcome those fears of people. I also work in daycare and we have NEVER told an owner the dogs go outside for "potty breaks". They used to be able to go outside for play time in the afternoons but that stopped last summer. My dogs are in daycare every day and they have never came home and had an accident of my floor. So once again, get your facts straight.

Oh and Dr. Eaton is a very strict woman, but she is the best boss and Veterinarian I've ever met. She only hires the best and if they do not preform good then yes they get let go. But when it comes to an animals life, I would want my pets to only have the best Veterinarians that money can buy. There are public reports that show the hospital is within very reasonable pricing due to the economy and location. There are many other places that are much higher and lower. I will only take my animals to this facility because yes they have competitive pricing, but I would much rather pay a higher price for better care and procedures. Shelters spay/neuter an animal for close to nothing. Did you know that doesn't inlcude pain medicine, IV's, laser surgery for minimal bleeding and faster healing time, EKG's to make sure the dogs heart is doing well while under anesthesia? No you didn't know that. You do not understand that we take excellent care of every animal that comes into that hospital. I have willingly worked every holiday and enjoyed making sure that those animals were taken care of.

And lastly, you were told many times to leave when you were sick, and you refused which ended up with the paramedics being called. So don't mess with the hospital anymore, your actions will not work and move on with your life.