Complaint Review: Answer by Gateway

• Updated: Thu, October 03, 2013

• Reported By: Mary — Highland Mills New York
Answer by Gateway
Internet USA

Answer by Gateway I'm another victim of deceptive sales and incompetent staff Internet

I had a message about Windows & not being genuine pop up - Since that was part of the pre-installed software on my Gateway desktop machine, I thought Gateway would know how to fix it.  Boy, was I wrong.

Gateway was polite, but since my machine was 3 years old, and out of warranty, they gave me the number of Answers by Gateway.

And they couldn't have been nicer - got into my machine, checked it out, told me that it could be fixed.  So after almost 2 hours, I was convinced to buy their service package at 149.99.  Then I was transferred to another technician, who did pretty much all the same things that had already been done for free.  Well, they could not fix the error - the tech kept asking me if I had the installation disks (no) and if anyone had changed anything recently (no).  As it turns out, I was given many reasons for the Windows 7 message, including that someone had stolen my product key, someone had changed the registry, there was malware, there were physical problems on the hard disk - a list of lots of things they couldn't actually find.  The final offer was to restore my machine back to where it was when I bought it - thereby losing all my applications that I had paid for over the years and loaded.  This was not an option, and it was not a fix.  Since it couldn’t be resolved, I asked to be transferred to customer service to cancel the contract - by now, it was just 10am. I was told that customer relations was not available, call back in 2 hours.

Called back at noon, and the technician I spoke to would not transfer me to customer service, and told me that he would have them call me back within 1 hour.  No surprises there - there was no call back from them.

I called again at 8 pm, was told customer relations was closed, but would be open next day at 10 am.  So I called at 10:45am the next day, and again was told customer relations were not open, but would be open at 11:30am.

So I called at 12:10, talked to a technician, who put me on hold while she "checked with customer relations"; after about 3 minutes she actually transferred me.

And then I met Rao (you've seen his name in other complaints).  According to him, I'm the problem, that they could fix the machine but I wouldn't let them reload the operating system.  Again, that's not a fix, and I made it clear that I wanted my money back.  He said maybe they could look into some sort of pro-rated refund, but since absolutely nothing was done by them to fix my machine, I said I wanted it all back.  He said that the minute they spoke to me, I was using their service and I couldn't get my 149.99 back.  I told him that I would be contacting my bank and he then said he would be flagging my account and when the bank called, he would be the one to talk to them, and he would deny the refund.

As soon as the charge is posted on my account, I will be opening up a dispute.  Paying for a service that I haven't received is just not going to happen.  I wish I had looked at these other complaints before I called Gateway.  And, by the way, I have contacted Microsoft, and they are in the process of FIXING the problem without removing any of my own software or reloading the operating system.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2013 09:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Answer-by-Gateway/internet/Answer-by-Gateway-Im-another-victim-of-deceptive-sales-and-incompetent-staff-Internet-1089177. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Answer by Gateway