Complaint Review: Apollo Van Lines

• Submitted: Fri, October 17, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, June 01, 2012

• Reported By:Raleigh North Carolina
Apollo Van Lines
71-20 80th Street Bldg 41 Glendale, New York U.S.A.

Apollo Van Lines lies, cheats, and steals New York New York

*Consumer Comment: Edna Seltzer is your Mother

*Consumer Comment: Oh Adam, remember me?

*Consumer Comment: Something fishy here....

*UPDATE Employee: Complaint is incorrect

My entire experience with the company was AWFUL -- this cannot be emphasized enough.

The estimate given to me by the original salesperson misrepresented the length of time for delivery of my items. When my items were picked up, I was again misinformed of the length of delivery. I called a few days later to check on the status of my stuff, someone who turned out to be the president/general manager was EXTREMELY rude over the phone -- insults, screaming, obscenities, and finally hanging up on me.

Over the next two weeks, I was lied to numerous times by various people in the office, regarding the location of my items, the date of delivery, and even including their identities over the phone. When a truck finally showed up over one week after the promised date, my items were not on the truck.

I called the company numerous times to straighten out the mistake, but could not reach someone until the next morning, who again lied about the length of time for delivery to correct their mistake. Over the next week, I was lied to every day regarding a different aspect of the delivery.

When my items were finally received THREE weeks after pickup,the part of the contract specifying a two-week maximum delivery date was "missing." I called the company again to negotiate the final cost after the nightmare I'd been through, and the president/general manager refused to speak to me over the phone, but told the drivers of the truck to take only cash up front for the remainder of my balance. The drivers finally brought my items into my apartment, but left immediately. I have discovered some damage to goods as well as cokroaches, etc. in the boxes.

Again, I emphasize the fact that I would NEVER let ANYONE I know do business with this company.

Jennifer
Raleigh, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2003 08:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Apollo-Van-Lines/Glendale-New-York-11385/Apollo-Van-Lines-lies-cheats-and-steals-New-York-New-York-69430. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Apollo Van Lines

Edna Seltzer is your Mother

AUTHOR: kmmp - (United States of America)

Stop your bullsh*t lying Adam, of course you have worked with Edna for years, she is your MOTHER.  Guess it just goes to show the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Oh Adam, remember me?

AUTHOR: Keryn MP - (United States of America)

Adam, I find it amusing that you use the same excuses now that you work for OCO Transportation which is owned by the same scam artist (Edna Seltzer) as Apollo.  You are a liar and a cheat, you are childish, unprofessional and should be in jail for fraud.

Something fishy here....

AUTHOR: Tas - (U.S.A.)

Quoting by cubic feet is illegal for an interstate move as of 8/2/05. I also find it hard to believe that this busy company's employee remembers a move from 5 years ago with such clarity.

I contacted this company at one point to obtain an estimate. Not only did I get an email quote without them ever doing a visual estimate, but they clearly lowballed the offer, most likely with the intent of jacking the rates up and holding my stuff hostage until I paid the additional costs. Their quote was a good 30% less than the lowest other quote, and I may add that the other quotes I received were all within the same ballpark.

They also sent numerous emails to me and called constantly, which to me is borderline harrassment. I requested a quote, call once to follow up is fine, calling every other day isn't.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

#6 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Adam - (U.S.A.)

In this case, I have found 3 flaws with the customers' complaint. Firstly, the customer shipment was not late. We tell all of our customer that going to the North Carolina/South Carolina region it takes 3-7 business days depending on certain circumstances. The confusion in this case was that the customer failed to realize that business days are not "regular " days but one must take into consideration holidays and weekends. The reason for this is because customers are not the only individuals on these trailers going to their designated location. Sometimes a trailer may have numerous shipments going to a specific location and therefore our drivers and movers need to make several stops (not to mention sleep/eat, etc -they are after all human).

Secondly, in regards to the price change, we emphasize that for long distance moves, "our price is always based on actual cubic feet and packing materials used". In this case the customer simply had more cubic feet than the estimator orignally saw. This can be the case for many reasons. We find this to be the case quite often with customers who say they will move X amount of boxes /furniture and on move day 2x is present. Obviosly when a customer tells us that he or she will move 50 boxes and then 100 are present, for example, we can not transport the items at the same cost. I wonder why customers who tell us they have 50 boxes and then on move day there are 25 and the price goes down, never complain. We do emphasize again that price is always based on actual cubic feet and packing materials used and if cubic feet was reduced, so would the price. In this case it did not occur. Even if the cubic feet and eventually price does increase we always tell our customer this before competliton of the job. This way they have the option of sending us away and not paying us a signle red cent.

Thirdly, upon reciept of goods, it is our company policy to only take cash, certified check or money order (for obvious reasons) for the balance of the job. We would have gladly taken the remainder of the bill in either of those methods of payments. Cash is never soley requested. In regards to Ms Seltzers' tone/obcenties. I have worked along side of her for the past 4 years and have never heard her "lose it" the way the cusotmer explains in this article. We do not tolerate profanity or threats from our workers /customers, and only then is there an issue, after all this is an office.

If any customer would like to personally discuss this or any issue with me I will be glad to do so. Please call me directly at 718-969-6235.