Complaint Review: Apple Vacations

• Submitted: Tue, August 26, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, April 27, 2009

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
Apple Vacations
101 Northwest Point Blvd Elk Grove Village, Illinois U.S.A.

AppleVacations - AMCAL Vacations - AVOK Total Vacation Security ROTTEN APPLE VACATIONS Cancel for ANY reason with AVOK Insurance RIP-OFF Went to cancel and was told my airfare was non-changeable and non-refundable Elk Grove Village, And Newton Square PA Illinois, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Think you dont know what your talking about

*Consumer Suggestion: Since you bought the insurance you should get your money back.

On 7/22/03 I put a deposit of $1348.00 on a Apple Vacation Package to Cancun; at Apple's local contracted travel agency.(AppleVacation will only sell through their contracted agencies)
Included in that deposit was $98.10 to purchase Apple's AVOK Total Vacation Security Insurance. Apple's website states that with this insurance you can "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON" and "This plan allows for cancellation or change of your vacation up to the scheduled time of depature" and "For scheduled air vacation packages, refunds will be in the original form of payment".

The only documentation I was given was the invoice/itinerary which states nothing about my airfare being non-refundable if I should cancel.

On August 14, 2003 I called the travel agency where I booked my trip to cancel and was told that the majority of my deposit ($1185.46) was not refundable and that it states on my invoice/itinerary that my airfare was non-changeable and non-refundable!(She said, "It says here right on the computer, non-refundable and it should say so on your paperwork too") I informed her that nothing on my paperwork states this and that I expected my full deposit returned minus the insurance premium of $98.10 and a change/cancel fee of $45.00 per person (for a total refund due to me of $1159.90).

I asked for a phone number where I could contact Apple Vacations myself and was told that they only accept calls from their travel agents. I was told that I needed to talk with the agent who took my deposit.

So, I contacted the agent, she said that she told me that the airfare was non-refundable. I told her that I was not aware of this, I have nothing that states this in writing and this was why I purchased travel insurance because I knew I might cancel my trip. She told me she would have to call Apple because the refund of airfare would be at their discretion.

She called me back shortly and said that the tickets were still non-refundable but that Apple Vacations NOW is saying that I could change the tickets(to the same destination, different dates) for a fee of $150.00!

I then asked if the airlines considered my tickets non-refundable or Apple Vacations was refusing to refund my money and was told "Apple was refusing the refund".

I called again on August 16, 2003; at which time the agent tried to contact a supervisor at Apple Vacations and explain that I must cancel my trip; however Apple still refused my refund even though I had purchased their travel insurance!!!

So out of a $1348.00 I am to receive ONLY $162.54 back, which I have still not even been credited!! So much for " AVOK TOTAL VACATION SECURITY"!!! THEIR GOLDEN APPLE VACATIONS ARE REALLY ROTTEN, DECEIVING APPLES!!! BEWARE!!!!!

Erin
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/26/2003 08:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Apple-Vacations/Elk-Grove-Village-Illinois-60007/AppleVacations-AMCAL-Vacations-AVOK-Total-Vacation-Security-ROTTEN-APPLE-VACATIONS-Can-66239. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Apple Vacations

Think you dont know what your talking about

AUTHOR: Travelguy - (U.S.A.)

Dude you might want to do some contacting, I did the same thing and they refunded me completly, this is precisely what the insurance covers, that what its sold for, I got my voucher and refund withing two weeks. What your saying doesnt make any sense.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Kim - (U.S.A.)

On the cancellation insurance that you bought, unless it specifically says it does not include non refundable airfare, you are getting screwed. The amount of the hotel also should be worth more than you are getting back. To pay 90 something dollars and to be offered a refund of only 162.54 something makes no sense. What a joke!! I would pursue this further with Apple or sue the travel agency in small claims.

#3 Consumer Suggestion