Complaint Review: Applied Language Solutions

• Updated: Fri, September 04, 2009

• Reported By: Benjamin — New York New York USA
Applied Language Solutions
www.appliedlanguage.com Internet United States of America

Applied Language Solutions BEWARE TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS: This company will demand your work up front, and then refuse to pay. Internet

In April 2009, I was engaged by Holly Roberts of Applied Language Solutions to translate a lengthy video from Mandinka to English for a legal proceeding in the United Kingdom. She confirmed both my rate and the 48-hour deadline--an extreme rush. Her precise words in e-mails to me:

"We have confirmed with our customer that they would like to go ahead with this project." (Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:37:23)

"The customer requires the transcription for a meeting on Wednesday morning UK time - does your schedule allow for this?" (Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:09:07)

"If the language is indeed Mandinka, you are free to proceed with the work straight away at the agreed rate of USD$0.20/wd and I will raise a separate job order and payment for you." (Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:23:39)

I stayed up all night to complete the job, which ran to 1,791 words. Barely finishing the work on time, I e-mailed it to her in the UK, along with my bill for $798.40, which included rush service.

After receiving my work and bill, Ms. Roberts announced that the job had never been confirmed, and that I would therefore not be paid even a dime!

After four months of haggling, including repeated threats to sue, I managed to wring a total of $390.20 in payments from this deadbeat company, but they still owe me $408.20 (including interest) which they adamantly refuse to pay. The company's multimillionaire CEO, Gavin Wheeldon, personally wrote me to say that I would not be paid in full for my work.

For your own good, I therefore implore all interpreters and translators who may be approached by this unethical company to refuse to do any work unless you are paid in full, and paid in advance. That is the only way you can avoid being exploited and ripped off, as I was.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/04/2009 05:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Applied-Language-Solutions/internet/Applied-Language-Solutions-BEWARE-TRANSLATORS-AND-INTERPRETERS-This-company-will-demand-490373. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Applied Language Solutions