Complaint Review: Apria Healthcare

• Updated: Sat, December 17, 2011

• Reported By: Bernd — Santa Fe New Mexico United States of America
Apria Healthcare
1328 S Highland Ave Jackson, Tennessee United States of America

Apria Healthcare Confusing contact information, old equipment and overcharging my credit card! Jackson, Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: I'm just a little confused....

After a long period of tiredness and waking up many times every night my doctor suggested a sleep oxygen test with Apria healthcare. He sent them all my data and made an appointment.

After about a week nobody had come to my house as was promised. So I called my doctor and he gave me their telefon number. They said they had lost all my information, but would be right over.

After the test I waited another week for the results which never came. I called my doctor - they had again lost my contact information and not bothered to call my doctor. My oxygen levels went dangerously low at night...

He then ordered an Oxygen Concentrator for me which I should use while sleeping and I was told it would be $25 a month copay.

After a month I got a call from Apria that I had to pay a one time fee of $106 to meet my yearly deductible. so I autorized this one time payment on top of the regular $25.

After about 4 month Apria called me and said they needed another creditcard number, since mine did refuse to pay. I had used a flex medical card and they had emptied my account by charging $129 every month...

I told them to pick up their machine and thought that was it. but they keep sending me every month a letter that I owe still $245 and they need another card. They also call me every week.

I have tried to talk to them several times about the overcharging etc, but there is no sympathy - just a round and round talk.

I have since bought an almost new Concentrator on Craigs list for only $500. The official website for the concentrator sells them for $700. Aprias concentrator had Almost 29,000 hours on it, so you can calculate how much money they made with that one machine.

There never was even one visit for maintenance...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2011 05:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Apria-Healthcare/Jackson-Tennessee-38301/Apria-Healthcare-Confusing-contact-information-old-equipment-and-overcharging-my-credit-741763. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Apria Healthcare

I'm just a little confused....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

usually when you have low oxygen levels only at night, you have sleep apnea and need a CPAP machine and that is sometimes supplemented with oxygen attached to it.

The reason, usually, for the night time low O2 level is the throat closing down and restricting airflow when sleeping.

It also really doesn't matter how many hours are on the machine from Apria as long as it works properly and if there are problems, they will replace/repair it at no additional charge to you.

Oxygen concentrators are pretty long lived and reliable and can run 24/7 for many years with only minimal maintenance. If the one you purchased fails, you are responsible for repair/replacement and acquiring another to use...possibly in the middle of the night.

Be sure to regularly clean the input air filter(s),