Complaint Review: Arco

• Updated: Wed, October 26, 2011

• Reported By: Dan — Phelan California United States of America
Arco
4074 Phelan Road Phelan, California United States of America

Arco BP Gas Pumps are not calibrated. Weights and Measures was out 2 months ago but pump is still incorrect. Phelan, California

*Consumer Comment: Weights and measures

I stopped on the way to work to fill up my tank even though I still had a quarter tank of fuel left just to avoid waiting until I desperately needed fuel.  My usual station (76) across the street was out of service for some reason and all of the pumps were off so I had to go to Arco across the street.

My fuel tank is a 13 gallon tank.  When I stopped I still had a quarter tank left in the car so I figured that the car would take maybe 9 gallons or so.  I have been driving this car for years and know how it consumes fuel and how much is left in the tank based on where the gauge sits.

The fuel pump did not stop until it was at 13.311 gallons.  The car has a 13 gallon tank.  I still had a 1/4 tank left so it should have taken only approx. 9 gallons, not over 13, and definitely not more than the tank is capable of holding.  According to this I got 21 MPG (276.8 miles / 13.311 gallons = 20.8 MPG) off that tank when every other tank yields around 31-33 MPG yet my car runs perfect.

I spoke with the manager and she said for me to call weights and measures (apparently my responsibility).  I called the Arco hotline (800) 322-ARCO and was told the same thing.  I was also informed that I would never get my money back.  ARCO took me for almost $20 based on the miscalibrated pump.

I am mad since fuel prices keep rising (currently 87 is at $3.799/gal), oil companies keep posting billions in quarterly profits, yet someone who doesn't make much money and spends a good portion of their paychecks on fuel gets screwed at the pump and essentially told to just deal with it.  $20 could go a long way for me towards food and other necessities.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/26/2011 10:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Arco/Phelan-California-92371/Arco-BP-Gas-Pumps-are-not-calibrated-Weights-and-Measures-was-out-2-months-ago-but-pump-792347. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Arco

Weights and measures

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Did you ever call weights and measures like they told you to? If weights and measures goes out there and can prove the pump is miscalibrated, you could prove your story. Otherwise, you're screwed. I doubt a gas station would risk a lawsuit over that gross of a miscalibration, more people than you would notice it.