Complaint Review: Armstrong

• Submitted: Wed, December 07, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, September 13, 2012

• Reported By:Durham North Carolina
Armstrong
2500 Columbia Avenue Lancaster, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Armstrong Flooring Company RIPOFF does not honor warranty on defective products Lancaster Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Armstrong denied claim of confirmed defects

*Author of original report: Flooring replaced

*UPDATE Employee: Not Manufacturing Defect

*Author of original report: Armstrong Floors ignore warranty refuse repair

*Author of original report: Armstrong finally acknowledges laminate floor problem

*Author of original report: Armstrong laminate floor complaint

A Local Carpet One franchise was hired to install an Armstrong laminate hardwood floor in 2001. The floor's planks were installed by sliding planks into place and gluing together (different from the current locking laminate products).

After one week of product "acclimation" and install, there were problems. In a small number of places, some seams began to rise, creating peaks where the floor pieces joined. In other areas, some adjacent to the peaks, the planks separated. In three places, Planks did not properly fit at corners, resulting in sharp points.

Honoring product and installation warranties, within 6 months of the installation Carpet One sent an installer to repair the floor three times. The result was still less than perfect, but still for the better. I wrote the floor off as being a little higher maintenance than planned.

This year, I hired the same Carpet One franchise to install more flooring, including Armstrong vinyl. The installer, who was a certified by Armstrong for laminate installation, immediately recognized the floor as a glue-together product that was defective.

The installer alerted a Carpet One sales rep, and the company sent a sales representative to look at my floor. In his opinion, too, the floor was defective and needed repair or replacement.

A claim was filed with Armstrong via Carpet One in October, and Armstrong sent one of their distributor reps to my house to examine the problems. She immediately decided that each of my problems had to be related to bad installation or uneven subfloor, without thorough investigation other than a moisture reading. Armstrong denied the claim per the rep's claims of moisture and uneven subflooring.

1) Moisture: Armstrong determined the flooring to be too moist. This is a climate controlled, humidity-controlled home built on a crawlspace in which the ground is covered in plastic and lime. The floor was found to contain some excess moisture, but the areas she tested were not even the defective areas, moisture causes expansion and not separation, and she based her findings on current product standards (the current products are moisture resistant on all sides and not held together by liquid glue -- of course they will retain less moisture). Also, between my subfloor and laminate floor lies Armstrong's own moisture barrier underlayment...so if moisture is coming up from under the house, they provided defective underlayment.

2) Uneven subflooring: My home has some uneven subflooring, but actually not in the areas in which the defects are occurring.

No mention in the claim denial was made of plank separation...and neither moisture nor uneven subflooring can possibly be accountable for that issue.

Additionally, I continuously had to remind Armstrong's distributor rep while inspecting my floor that my floor was a glue-together installation, not interlocking. Even at the end of her "assessment" she claimed separation would be "due to bad installation since the pieces are made to lock together"...she had absolutely no idea the glue-together flooring was not designed to interlock.

Armstrong and Carpet One have both acknowledged that there have problems with Armstrong glue-together laminate flooring significant enough for them to discontinue them entirely, and the interlocking products are designed so problems such as mine do not occur.

It's not my fault I purchased a floor that had been poorly engineered/designed at the time of purchase. Factory warranty on the floor is 20 years. To date, they refuse to even repair even a few of the most apparent defects.

I have requested an independent inspector look at the defective flooring. If Armstrong will not accommodate my efforts to fix their own defective product, I intend to pursue this with my state attorney general's office and Better business Bureau...I am also ready to pursue a legal battle.

Ryan
Durham, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/07/2005 03:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Armstrong/Lancaster-Pennsylvania-17604/Armstrong-Flooring-Company-RIPOFF-does-not-honor-warranty-on-defective-products-Lancaster-167191. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Armstrong

Armstrong denied claim of confirmed defects

AUTHOR: susan - (Canada)

I also was denied a claim( even though their own inspectors stated defective flooring,) because the defects were not noticeable until after installation.  Apparently they can wash their hands of any responsibility in defects if the installer doesn't notice the defects prior to installation; doesn't matter if they sell you garbage.. they can get away with it.

Flooring replaced

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

Determined again during demolition to be a product problem by yet another neutral party (sorry, rebuttal person, incorrect his time, and please contact Carpet One to verify the pulling of the glue-together product), the new product is in place and is clearly a of better quality engineering.

While I'm jaded with Armstrong right now because of the poor way this was handled until the carpet retailer stepped in, I must admit I am so far pleased with the replacement.

Would I recommend Armstrong laminate to others? Honestly, I would say the newer product is superior other makes like Pergo...so in light of the new design eliminating the problems I experienced, probably so.

Not Manufacturing Defect

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

So here is the deal with your laminate floor. First, Armstrong did not "pull" it off the market because of defective product. The technology about the construction of the product had developed so that eliminating the use of glue meant that consumers could actually install the product 33% faster than using glue.

Problems can arise from three sources. 1) the product was made improperly (i.e. mis-milled, the pattern ran off, etc. 2) the installer did not install the product correctly, following manufacturer's guidelines about layout, subfloor prep, spacing, amount of glue to use, etc. 3) the enviroment to which a product is installed- high moisture, heavy traffic, poor maintenance, etc.

99% of the problems are with 2&3. Honestly. Do you really think a floor will buckle, bubble, pull apart on its own without something bigger causing it? Armstrong tests all products in a simulated house under all circumstances in order for it to go to market.

I am sorry about your struggles, and look Armstrong is replacing it. Carpet One did not want to take the hit on that, neither did the installer.

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

After advising Armstrong I would fully pursue the matter despite their decision, and after my carpet retailer became more involved, Armstrong agreed to a one-time replacement of my entire floor under the provision that recurrence of the original floor's problems would not be covered (the new product is not succeptible to these problems, anyway). I am currently waiting for the involved companies to provide current samples so I can order the replacement product.

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

Armstrong Floors ignore warranty refuse repair

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

The inspection took place last week and it was determined that excess moisture and subfloor problems were not the cause of any cosmetic issues.

However, Armstrong contacted me this morning, and just as I expected, they decided installation was the problem and their customer relations representative said point blank "there is nothing Armstrong is obligated to do about your floor."

They said my floor had been installed with the visible gaps and peaking at the seams....I assure you if this was the case, I would have never let the installers finish installing it. She added that the "poor installation" allowed moisture to enter the floor and eventually do further damage.

I know the following: 1) Armstrong discontiuned the glue-together floor system because of the number of warranty claims it presented, and 2) Armstrong trained and cerified installers installed this floor...if they did a bad job from the beginning I would have never accepted their completion of the floor, and if this product is so difficult to install that trained installers can't get it right, then that's a problem with the product.

I Jodie back to firmly explain this, and when I concluded she told me "OK, thank you, you can do all you want."

Basically I am no out $4,000 and they have already told the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General's Office the issue is resolved.

Armstrong finally acknowledges laminate floor problem

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

This issue is still far from over. Following formal complaints filed with their corporate location's Better Business Bureau and the State of North Carolina, Armstrong finally took the first step of granting an independent inspection of my laminate floor. Additionally, two regional news stations are investigating for possible airing of the issue on television...I suspect Armstrong is only concerned now that their public reputation in my area may be jeopardized.

The inspection is to take place later this week, and I am still awaiting a confirmed time with the inspector.

The bad news is that I have recently discovered a plank of the flooring in the middle of my kitchen is no longer attached to other planks on either side and now slides freely. Additionally, I have discovered one particular seam separation I have been concealing with wood filler (yes, a $4000 floor that I have had to patch with putty) has grown to more than 8 feet in length.

Armstrong laminate floor complaint

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

Armstrong advised on 12/14/05 installer confirmed that problem is not manufacturer's defect. I have confirmed this statement is not truthful. Installer believes sales representative who inspected the floor was not knowledgeable of the product and biased toward Armstrong's interests because she is affiliated with Armstrong.