Complaint Review: Around the Clock Air

• Updated: Tue, September 25, 2012

• Reported By: RippedOFF — Davie Florida United States of America
Around the Clock Air
11840 NW 41ST Street Coral Springs, Florida United States of America

Around the Clock Air Air ATC Charge you whatever they feel like?? Coral Springs, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Common billing procedure

Two years ago we had a new unit installed in our home by Air ATC.  The install was done quickly and the techs were professional and polite.  Just this month, the blower on our 2 year old interior unit went out.  I called Air ATC and informed them of the problem.  They informed me that it would cost $95 for the service call but then that amount would be deducted from the price.  A polite tech came out and verified that the problem was the blower which was covered under warranty.  However, the labor for the install of the blower was not.

The install came to $295 and it took the tech just over 30 minutes to install (different guy the next day but just as nice).  When I inquired about their labor cost per hour I was informed that they charge by the job not by the hour.  I then emailed the company and here were their responses:

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us about your experience, we do not charge labor by the hour we charge depending on the job. For the drive to the manufacture and back and everything else the job entails (paper work, transit, etc) that is how we calculate the cost. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

I then replied and asked them if they could itemize the $295 since they have costs to factor in as mentioned above and their response was:

Unfortunately sir there is no way to break it down, we do not itemize it either. I do apologize for the inconvenience but our prices are all flat rates. That is just our company policy.

I don't know about you but I have a problem with a company that just arbitrarily charges whatever they want.  I also find it odd that all complaints about them list prices that have the $95 service charge tacked on such as $1295, or $295.  I paid it because I need a working AC unit but I can't help feeling like they take advantage of these types of situations.  I also have to wonder if that same price would be quoted to another family since there is no clear formula on how or what they charge.  I'm a idiot, I agreed to the repairs and paid it.  Please don't do like I did if you use this company.  Ask a LOT of questions first and shop around.  As I mentioned their people in the field are great but the ones they answer to... not so much.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/25/2012 01:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Around-the-Clock-Air/Coral-Springs-Florida-33065/Around-the-Clock-Air-Air-ATC-Charge-you-whatever-they-feel-like-Coral-Springs-Florida-946442. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Around the Clock Air

Common billing procedure

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

Flat rate billing is common in many service industries.  Automotive service has used it for years.  They even have 'flat rate' manuals that are industry standard that list the price of certain jobs.  I don't know if there is one for HVAC or  whether they made up their own.

If the job is done quickly it doesn't seem fair but if there are problems and it takes longer than usual, it's a good deal.  The idea is that it supposedly averages out.

Anyway, whether you like it or not, it's a common method. You are correct to ask lots of questions before you hire someone, at least then there are no surprises. At least they apparently did a good job for you.