• Report: #181939

• Submitted: Sat, March 18, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, July 25, 2006

• Reported By:lansing Michigan
Art Van Funiture Showroom And Clearance - Sterns and Foster
425 Eisenhower Parkway Ann Arbor, Michigan U.S.A.

Art Van Funiture Showroom And Clearance - Sterns and Foster Mattress Warranty scam, fraud dishonest pillow top lies and rip off methods of deciet Ann Arbor Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Stearns and Foster sunken bed

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Existing Book About This Subject

Please be advised that Art Van and Sterns and Foster are out to charge you an arm and a leg for defective and poorly designed mattress sets. They will boast about, and try to justify outrageous pricing by, a 10 year warranty that will not be honored if they can avoid it.

I purchased a bed 7 months ago from Arn Van. The price I paid was said to be "half off". I set out to improve my quality of life and get the quality of sleep only a whopping 1600 and some odd dollars could buy. I felt I had earned it and that it would be money well spent...I could not have been further from the truth!

Initially I was happy, but slowly began to feel something was wrong with the bed. Within six months the situation became less of an suspicion and more of a reality and I now have had no rest sleeping in what can best be described as a lion's trap of a "body impression".

I am waking up in pain sunken into a hole over four inches deep and after reporting the problem to the store, I have got no where but the run around. The store has had two service tech out to "inspect" the bed in what can best be described as a crude eyeballing and brief measurment across the surface of the mattress.

The problem is that the 10 year warranty they sell you on states that the impression needs to be 1.5 inches to be a defect. Doesn't seem like much but when you later learn that the surface of the bed is made of viscal elastic memory foam and will "appear" flat across the surface, the bed is actually lacking greatly within. I refer to this as a Lion's trap on the fool of the jungle.

The service men will not lay on the bed or entertain any other method to ascertain a problem other than laying a straight edge across the bed and using a tape measure to check...The problem is within the bed and the structure inside. So the bed appears to have an impression in the surface of "little over an inch" but once you lay on the bed the impression grows into a hole over four inches deep!

To make matters worse, the sides of the mattress are made up of some kind of super strong support foam that prevents the mattress from sagging on the edges when you sit on the side of the bed. this support foam worsens the problem as the sides of the bed stay firm and in shape as the middle sinks... kind of like sleeping on a piece of bread that has been held under running water... the edges are in place but the middle is sunken!

The design of this bed manufactured to be sold in Art Van Stores to specifications agreed upon by Sterns and Foster and Art van is defective. The 10 year Warranty is a joke and they will search for a reason not to honor it claiming they have nothing to lose when in fact they have an agreement to work to deny it.

My frame has a middle support bar, five legs, the box spring is just as the store delivered and set it up and the only thing they have to work at dispeling me with is the measurements against memory foam on THE SURFACE of the bed. One of the techs even said "It has to be 1.5 inches... you're at little over an inch... so you're not quite there YET" Yet? I have to sleep on this thing until I get a quarter of an inch more?... this is a ten year warrenty period" I said. It has only been 6 or 7 months!

I found myself arguing over a quarter of an inch! I said it is over four inches when I crawl out of it in the morning... I have pictures! The tech went on to say it didn't matter what it measured when you were laying in it... isn't that what a bed is for... isn't how it feels when you are on the bed what should count?

Do not fall into the Lions Trap on the sales floor or you will find yourself trying to sleep in one at night!

lansing, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/18/2006 01:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Art-Van-Funiture-Showroom-And-Clearance-Sterns-and-Foster/Ann-Arbor-Michigan-48197/Art-Van-Funiture-Showroom-And-Clearance-Sterns-and-Foster-Mattress-Warranty-scam-fraud-181939. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Art Van Funiture Showroom And Clearance - Sterns and Foster

Stearns and Foster sunken bed

AUTHOR: Mat - (U.S.A.)

I too purchased a Stearns and Foster bed, had in for 10 months and it was sagging in the middle, A repair person from the furniture store I purchased the mattress at came out, measured it..........1 3/4 inch dip in the middle. I wrote to Stearns And Foster, they actually called me almost immediately, however I am still negociating with the store. The furniture store only wants to give me a new matress, without a boxspring, totaling only 65percent of my entire purchase price. No deal. I just sent off my third letter to Stearns and Foster. I 'll let you know how it turns out.

Stearns And Foster
One Office Parkway
Trinity, NC 27370

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Existing Book About This Subject

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Justin, I am an ex-employee of the owner of the furniture chain that you have written about. I am sorry that you have had to go through this. I hear from frustrated people like you every day. I have written a book about the subject (specifically the owner and what he does with the money.)

The name of the book is Grosse Pointe Pimp. If you care to contact me at Marksteelbooks.com I would be happy to send you one free of charge. I will cover any shipping costs as well. I hope that reading it gives you more insight into how the owner of this chain operates, or at least makes you feel better as you discover that you are not alone.