Complaint Review: Art Van Furniture

• Updated: Wed, November 07, 2012

• Reported By: Doug, Doorite — Bellaire Michigan United States of America
Art Van Furniture
Battle Creek, MI store Battle Creek, Michigan United States of America

Art Van Furniture Tried to increase the price after deal had been agreed upon. Battle Creek, Michigan

*UPDATE Employee: untrue assumptions made all over

I went to Art Van to purchase 3 pieces of furniture for my temporary apt. in Battle Creek, MI.  After haggling about the delivery of one of the floor models, I was buying, we made a deal on the 3 pieces.  The haggling was over delivery, my apt. is 1 mile from their store and they could not deliver the one floor davenport I was buying.  The sales lady suggested I rent a truck and pick it up.  The other two pieces were to be shipped from their Detroit warehouse with my paying shipping charges which I agreed on.  I agreed to pick up the davenport since it was a good buy.

We then went to the credit counter where I had agreed to pay cash/check for my purchase.  When I arrived the gal behind the counter tried to pencil me out of a few more dollars.  When I objected the "sales manager," I use the term loosley, since he would not make a pimple on a good sales manager's butt, tried to "bump" me for more money using the sales tax gimic when a big sign said no sales tax.  I became irritated and told them to keep their furniture and walked out.

I am also buying a big screen TV and a new mattress, but not at Art Vans.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/31/2012 07:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Art-Van-Furniture/Battle-Creek-Michigan-/Art-Van-Furniture-Tried-to-increase-the-price-after-deal-had-been-agreed-upon-Battle-Cre-935217. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Art Van Furniture

untrue assumptions made all over

AUTHOR: ANGRY MOM - (United States of America)

As an employee of Art Van, I find this posting incredibly offensive.  First of all, the Customer Service desk staff is not on commission, so the insinuation that they were trying to "pencil a few more dollar out of you" is absurd.  Offering you warranties that are free if we fail to offer them is part of the job.  Second, it makes no difference that you live near the store.  The Battle Creek store does not deliver from our facility.  Our nearest delivering store is in Lansing.  Our delivery fee is a flat rate that is reasonable by industry standards, and includes putting the merchandise in the room where you'd like it.  As you said yourself, you agreed to the delivery!  It sounds to me like the customer service associates were going over the order to make sure you understood all of the terms, as they're supposed to, and you decided that you didn't want to make the purchase.  That's certainly your right.  Getting on here and making false allegations and insulting the sales manager and the customer service associate is just in poor taste, though.  By the way, most women in 2012 don't appreciate the term "gal."  Just something to keep in mind.  Have a great day.