Complaint Review: Artisan Furniture Repair

• Updated: Thu, November 12, 2009

• Reported By: Mary — High Point North Carolina USA
Artisan Furniture Repair
4 Graulich Drive Milltown, New Jersey United States of America

Artisan Furniture Repair Requested deposit to make repairs then job was taken away from tech and now I can not get deposit back. Milltown, New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: Probelms with Natuzzi sofa

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Overblown claims

I contacted Mark Kuiper of Artisan Furniture Repair for a local conusmer in NJ area. He did go and inspect the furniture in need of repair and gave the total cost, then he requested a 50% deposit before even starting the repair work.

I can understand this however I do not do business this but there was no other techs I could use in this area. We send the 50% deposit to Mark. After several unsuccessful appointments with the conusmer, the conusmer called me requested another company to come and make the repairs as Mark could only come late at night after his regular day job. I did not know he had a regular day job and only did furntiure repair at night.

I have been calling Mark since May of this year trying to get back the deposit with no luck. He did call in mid-April to say I should have the money no later than end of the month/early May. Since then I've called many times with no answer. I have also sent a certified letter via mail in which has not not been signed for either.

The quality of his work may be good however I do not know this for fact but I can tell you his buesiness practices are not very good at all.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2009 08:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Artisan-Furniture-Repair/Milltown-New-Jersey-08850/Artisan-Furniture-Repair-Requested-deposit-to-make-repairs-then-job-was-taken-away-from-499758. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Artisan Furniture Repair

Probelms with Natuzzi sofa

AUTHOR: Kata Granic - (United States of America)

Hi. I saw this report and HAD to tell my story with Natuzzi. I don't know the repair company, but if they had the same experience as we did, then I can only say Natuzzi is ripping people off.
I bought a Natuzzi Catania II sofa just over 2 years ago in Toronto, Ontario. To our surprise, one side of the sofa recently fell in (down). To our even greater surprise, when the sofa was turned over to see what damage was done and what could be done to repair it, underneath the backing was not "engineered frames' made from european hardwoods" as Sears advertised but good old fashioned particle board!!! I cannot believe I was told that this sofa had a hardwood frame. Sears Canada is not responsible for the sofa since I moved to the USA. The 10 year warranty on parts is Natuzzi's responsibility as per Sears Customer Service. Unfortunately, Natuzzi says it is Sears responsibility. Now I am stuck with a very expensive broken sofa, and two corporations who could care less!!!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Overblown claims

AUTHOR: Mark Kuiper - (United States of America)

This is Mark Kuiper of Artisan Furniture Repair. I am responding to the claim posted here by Natuzzi America. A deposit of $345 was received by me for repair work to both a sofa and loveseat, which were under 3 years old. The framework on both had cracked along the forward spar, resulting in drammatic sagging of close to 5 inches. Both pieces had to have their coverings (leather) stripped back and the main spar either replaced or mended to correct the frames. There were other smaller cracks along ancillary framework, which also needed attention. The entire project required the removal of the items from the owner's home for 8 to 10 business days. At the time of the initial estimate, I noted the furniture owner's level of frustration with Natuzzi was already near the boiling point.

After several weeks of back and forth communication between Natuzzi and the furniture's owner, Natuzzi cut a deposit check, and asked me to go ahead with repairs. By this time, however, the owner had become so frustrated and angered by Natuzzi's slowness and refusal to replace both items, he stopped taking my calls and eventually refused to have the items repaired. I was not included in any further discussions regarding the furniture, and I assume Natuzzi had to replace both sofa and loveseat.

With regard to the deposit, I have been more than willing to refund Natuzzi America's deposit of $345 and did in fact repay Natuzzi. I'd be happy to supply a payment receipt and US Postal delivery confirmation should anyone inquire. For the record, I'd also like to note that Artisan did not recieve any compensation for the time spent providing Natuzzi with an estimate for repairs, which involved two visits to the furnitureowner's home, about 10 miles away.

At the end of the day, Artisan is a small, family-run business, and as such is influenced by the economy at large. We are not always able to repay large multi-national corporations like Natuzzi America within the expeditious timeframe it deems appropriate. Artisan works carefully and concientiously on a project-by-project basis, taking care to deliver a quality product. We pay attention to detail, and are careful about the projects we accept. Additionally, I am a full-time repair company and NOT a "repair by night" outfit. I've no idea where Natuzzi came up with this false claim.

Cancelled projects like the one described above disturb the flow of work and have a ripple effect on Artisan's tiny budget and finances. I communicated this to Natuzzi and thought its rep understood that repayment would take longer than Natuzzi would like.

For the record, Artisan is a business in good standing with both Angie's List and ServiceMagic, where we have won reputable business awards.

I hope this rebuttal clears the air and am indeed sorry that Natuzzi and Artisan had this misunderstanding.

Sincerely, Mark Kuiper, Artisan Furniture Repair.