Complaint Review: As Seen On TV (.com)

• Submitted: Sat, December 27, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, January 16, 2009

• Reported By:Longview Texas
As Seen On TV (.com)
asseenontv.com Wallingford, Connecticut U.S.A.

As Seen On TV (.com) / Merchandise Direct Deceptive website order form. I decided NOT to order a Snuggie, but was charged anyway Internet

*Consumer Comment: DISPUTE THE CHARGES WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER AGAIN ANYWHERE!

*Consumer Suggestion: The same thing just happened to me....

*Consumer Comment: Snuggie

I wanted to order a Snuggie blanket for my wife and went to asseenonTV.com to get it. I entered my credit card info after selecting ONE Snuggie that is supposed to come with a free one (for an add'l $7.95, of course).

When I clicked to go to the next phase of ordering, I started getting these other offers that would not stop and were becoming quite confusing. Everytime I would click 'No', a new offer would come up. "Well, what about this one?" "No." "Then, how about this?" "No." "Maybe this one, then?" "NO! NO! NO!"

It started looking a bit scammy, so I looked for a 'cancel' option. Since there was not one, I just closed everything out. Should not be a problem since I did not 'Submit' anything.

WRONG! Three weeks later, there is a charge on my credit card from MERCHANDISE DIRECT (The Snuggie clan) for $35.85. No order confirmation. No email notification. No NOTHING but a charge on my card.

I tried calling the number on the website, but it is automated and I had to have an order number to continue. I did not get an order number!

Then I decided to Google the situation and found nothing but complaints about this company from consumers everywhere....and that is how I found this site, by the way.

Now I am going to have to go to the bank Monday and file a dispute on the unauthorized charge. I am going to cancel my credit/debit card, too, and get a new one before more charges start showing up out of nowhere.

Carl the Great
Longview, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2008 09:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/As-Seen-On-TV-com/Wallingford-Connecticut/As-Seen-On-TV-com-Merchandise-Direct-Deceptive-website-order-form-I-decided-NOT-to-o-405230. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on As Seen On TV (.com)

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

THIS IS WHY I DO NOT PUT MY FINANCIAL INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET OR ON THE TELEPHONE BECAUSE OF RIP OFFS JUST LIKE THIS ONE!

GONE ARE THE DAYS WHEN YOU COULD BELIEVE THE ADS ON TV -- I SW THAT SNUGGIE AD ON TV AND FIGURED OUT THAT THEY WERE TRYING TO RIP OFF SENIOR CITIZENS. I SURE WANTED TO GET ONE BUT THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS GIVING THOSE PEOPLE OR ANYONE ELSE MY FINANCIAL INFORMATION ON THE PHONE OR ON THE INTERNET.

YOU NEED TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMUNICATION AND WITH THE CONSUMER FRAUD DIVISION OF YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE. THEY USUALLY TAKE QUICK ACTION WHEN SENIOR CITIZENS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THEY VOTE!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

The same thing just happened to me....

AUTHOR: Amy - (U.S.A.)

My husband was going to buy me a snuggie for Christmas. After going online and entering his credit card information it suddenly went from a $19.99 blanket to a $40.80 blanket. He cancelled out of the order and indicated that he did NOT want to place the order. Now almost 5-6 weeks later we've been charged $40.80 on our account. I called 800-366-6937 which is the number provided by my bank. They indicated that we ordered two snuggies with book lights and a "horse" blanket. Knowing our family's taste and interests, we NEVER would have ordered a blanket with a horse on it and I told the customer service rep this. He indicated that the blankets are in the mail set to arrive on Jan 25. I guess we'll see if they show up. He indicated that we can return them for a refund but are still responsible for the shipping of $15.99. I don't know that I want to send them back for a refund, I'm afraid I will be without refund and without merchandise then. We need to stop these crooks.

AUTHOR: Tnr - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry to hear this has happened to and thank you for reporting this issue. I was going to buy one for myself but I am not going to now. Thank you for the heads up.