Complaint Review: Ashford University

• Updated: Mon, February 11, 2013

• Reported By: Maya — San Jose California United States of America
Ashford University
400 North Bluff, Clinton, IA San Jose, California United States of America

Ashford University Ashford lied to me about how much financial aid I would get-they took it all and now I can't graduate! San Jose, California

I began Ashford 2 years ago. I was never given proper financial counseling about how much money I had left to borrow and if I would even be able to finish the program with the financial aid funds I had. The financial person I spoke with seemed more interested in signing me up and getting me started, then he was in helping me see if I could complete the program financially. They told me I would be receiving much more than I actually did. They have now used up all my financial aid money. They have refused to transfer all my classes and have made me take more general ed classes.

Before attending Ashford I almost finished my BA at Humboldt State University. When I decided to go to Ashford, one of the reasons is because they say they transfer in more classes than any other online universities. However, they didn't even get to finish the assessment of what classes to transfer after I had already given them thousands of dollars. When they told me that they decided that they needed me to take more GE classes, even though HSU didn't need them, I was upset. But that wasn't all. They went on to tell me that they would accept 2 upper division classes that had the same title from HSU. This enraged me.

They have been ignoring me, putting me off, and now threatening to send me to collections. I feel like I have been taken advantage of and that all they want is my money and they don't care about my education. They never counseled me on the financials of the whole program. They admitted me and started me without officially reviewing my transcripts, and when they finally did, I was a good 5 months into the program.

I will be looking for legal representation. I can't believe that they can continue to take government funding with out supporting the student in a minimal way to help them graduate. I wish I came across all these negative reports about Ashford before I started.

Now all I want to do is finish my BA and go on to graduate school and now I'm not sure how I will be able to do this.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2013 01:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashford-University/San-Jose-California-95124/Ashford-University-Ashford-lied-to-me-about-how-much-financial-aid-I-would-get-they-took-1012364. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ashford University