Complaint Review: Ashley Furniture Homestore

• Submitted: Fri, January 18, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, April 25, 2008

• Reported By:Royse City Texas
Ashley Furniture Homestore
7780 State Hwy 121 Frisco, Texas U.S.A.

Ashley Furniture Homestore Sold DEFECTIVE FAKE LEATHER FURNITURE & WON'T REFUND$$ Wants to 'PAINT' the leather? Frisco Texas

*Author of original report: **UPDATE** THANK YOU ASHLEY FURNITURE

I purchased a whole leather living room set from ASHLEY HOME STORE IN FRISCO on February 19, 2007. I also purchased the 5 year warranty. It was delivered to me on March 5th 2007. What I have is a leather reclining sofa, reclining leather love seat and leather rocker recliner, all the same brand & material.

We have had no problems until this past week. Our furniture is PEELING, yes peeling. The salesman assured me that it was 100% leather wherever our bodies touched. I wasn't aware that leather was supposed to PEEL, it just flakes off. It looks horrible and it's only 9 months old!

Yesterday I called the insurance people and they basically told me that 'peeling' was specifically not covered, although stabbing with a knife was. So if I stab my couch 'accidentally' they will fix it for free for 5 years but since it is DEFECTIVE and PEELING it is not covered.

I then called the Ashley Home Store where I purchased the furniture and asked to speak to the manager, they asked why and I explained my problem to them. They then said that I would have to let a customer service person know and they would take care of my problem. I went through the whole speech with the customer service lady and she explained that they would be happy to come and look at my defective furniture and see what, if anything, needed to be done about it. I was very upset and asked if I could just get my money back (since it's already paid in full) or exchange it for some other type of REAL LEATHER furniture in their store. They then told me that they would 'repair' any defective furniture or replace the cushion for up to one year then after that I am on my own. They said that peeling leather is not uncommon.

On January 11th, the Ashley Technician came to review the issue. He immediately saw the problem and then started PEELING back more of the leather. Now there is a huge 2-3 inch spot that is totally peeled away.

He was VERY friendly and very insightful. He told me that he could replace the one cushion and the other 8 or so spots that are peeling he could 'paint' them when he repaired the cushion. He said that my PAINT was PEELING off of my leather. I wasn't aware that leather was painted. When I showed him other pieces of leather furniture that I own that haven't ever peeled (but show wear) he let me know that furniture
isn't made the same way it used to be. He said that in the past things had better quality and held up better.

I also told him of the extended warranty that I purchased that was good for 5 years, but did NOT cover peeling leather. I told him that didn't understand why it didn't cover that and why the manufacturer only covered peeling leather for one year. If it peels, it should be replaced or refunded no matter how long you have had it!

I expressed how unsatisfied that I was with the product and asked if I could just get a refund and purchase quality furniture from a business that stood behind their product. He replied no, that Ashley doesn't give refunds anymore. He said it was 'cheaper' for them to hire someone to go 'repair' it, even if it was numerous times than to refund the money back to the customer. I asked him if he had ANY Ashley Furniture in his home, he replied NO MAAM, I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OF THAT FURNITURE IN MY HOME. When I asked why, he said that it wasn't good quality. That is pretty sad when your own employee says that about your products! I need to get this resolved, as I don't want a couch with an orange circle on it in my family room.

After hearing the technicians advice and knowledge it made me wonder why anyone does business with Ashley Furniture. I know one thing, I will not be back. They need to have higher standards and make sure their customers are HAPPY, then they would have a great referrals and repeat customers.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and they sent it to "Tom" and he emailed back saying that since a 'technician' was scheduled to be at my house on the 11th he considers this issue RESOLVED. I DON'T THINK SO!

I called the credit card (which happened to be the store card) and wanted to dispute the charges, they said I couldn't dispute unless Ashley REFUSED to 'repair' my couches. I asked if PAINTING FAKE LEATHER meant repair, she didn't answer. Needless to say the account is paid off and CANCELLED and I am telling EVERYONE I KNOW to NEVER do business with ASHLEY FURNITURE AGAIN.

I thought it was odd that the other 3 leather pieces of furniture that we have owned for YEARS has NO signs of PEELING whatsoever and looks better than my 9 month old Ashley Furniture!

Jennifer
Royse City, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/18/2008 04:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashley-Furniture-Homestore/Frisco-Texas-75034/Ashley-Furniture-Homestore-Sold-DEFECTIVE-FAKE-LEATHER-FURNITURE-WONT-REFUND-Wants-to-301367. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ashley Furniture Homestore

**UPDATE** THANK YOU ASHLEY FURNITURE

AUTHOR: Jennifermaxwell2 - (U.S.A.)

I just wanted to make everyone aware that Ashley furniture did come through finally! The ONLY reason things worked out so well is the wonderful assistant manager Shannon Loya in Frisco. He helped me tremendously, as did Susan Juarez. I appreciate their time and concern with my problems. I ended up getting a full refund, after my second brand new sofa had major defects. I got my check in the mail yesterday. THANK YOU for listening and helping get my problem resolved.