Complaint Review: Ashley Furniture

• Submitted: Fri, March 12, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, March 22, 2010

• Reported By: Charlene — Fountain Hills Arizona USA
Ashley Furniture
14202 N Scottsdale Rd, Building #5, Ste 132 Scottsdale, Arizona United States of America

Ashley Furniture "AS IS" policy stinks! Scottsdale, Arizona

*Author of original report: The Saga Ends....

*Consumer Comment: Hmmmm

*General Comment: An even better idea...

*Author of original report: Significant Discount

*Consumer Comment: In response to Char's "Furthermore"

*Author of original report: Furthermore....

*Consumer Comment: What RIPOFF?

I think that Ashley Furniture's "As Is" policy is unfair to consumers. If you purchase anything off their showroom floor ( i.e. lamp, rug, decoration), you may not return it under any circumstances. I attempted to return a rug and two lamps that still had the Ashley Furniture price tags on them and they would not accept them as a return.

I spent over $700 for these items. My plans changed and I do not need them anymore. They have never been used. I wanted them to deliver the items instead of buying them off the floor, but that was not an option. I can't understand why they will accept something that has been delivered to the consumer as a return; but not something that the consumer purchases off of the showroom floor.

I sent an email to mjedlowskicustomercare@ashleyfurniture.com and received a trite response from Shannon Burris as follows:

"Thank you for your correspondence. We regret that you disagree with the nature of our AS IS policy. Unfortunately, accessories or other as-is items cannot be warrantied, serviced or returned. We are sorry to have lost your business."

It does not look like Ashley Furniture cares about their customer, nor do they care if their customer ever returns!!

Buyer Beware!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2010 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashley-Furniture/Scottsdale-Arizona-85254/Ashley-Furniture-AS-IS-policy-stinks-Scottsdale-Arizona-580429. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ashley Furniture

The Saga Ends....

AUTHOR: Sunflowerchar - (USA)

We, as consumers, can dictate how a business should be run and we do on a daily basis when we patronize their stores.  If we do not agree with their policies, then we do not shop, at some point in time they will get the message or go out of business.  That's Economics 101.

I just received an email from Ashley Furniture's Customer Service letting me know that they will allow me to return the merchandise and get a full refund.  More than likely, due to the negative PR campaign using several different consumer websites.  I appreciate that they are willing to work with me on this.  Yet, I still don't agree with their "As Is" policy.

Lastly, your final comment telling me to "Grow Up" says a lot about your maturity level, perhaps you should follow your own suggestion.

Hmmmm

AUTHOR: Resty - (U.S.A.)

Just because you dont like or dont agree with something a company does, does not make it wrong or illegal on their part. You cant dictate to the company how they run their business.

GROW UP

#3 General Comment

An even better idea...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

Why limit your efforts to just Ashley Furniture? You should use your time and resources to inform everybody that "As Is" means exactly that - the retailer is selling you the item while offering no guarantees or warranties about its condition. This would include used vehicles, electronics from a thrift store or clearance merchandise from a specialty retailer.

Significant Discount

AUTHOR: Sunflowerchar - (USA)

Hmmm...I don't think I got a significant discount...$269 for a lamp, I bought two. Another $200+ for a rug that is about 6x9.  I paid the same as what I could have purchased them at any other retailer, even those that do no have an "As Is" policy.

Again, my goal is to alert people that if they purchase merchandise off the floor at Ashley furniture that this policy exists.  If you are not sure, don't purchase it because it can't be returned.  I don't agree with this policy and I will never shop at Ashley Furniture again.  If I can place a seed of doubt in other people's minds about shopping at Ashley Furniture, I feel that I am doing something significant.

In response to Char's "Furthermore"

AUTHOR: Scott - (U.S.A.)

All retailers have different terms of sale. Unfortunately, there is no "universal" rule or guideline in regards to returning merchandise. All of the "other" retailers you listed (Target, KMart, Macy's, etc.) have sales policies allowing the return of merchandise...as do most retailers. But let's not cloud the issue here. You purchased "As-Is" merchandise. I challenge you to find me another retailer that will allow you to return "As-Is" merchandise. This merchandise is usually sold at a heavy discount and because of that is NOT RETURNABLE.

I do not work for Ashley Home Store, so don't try and refute this by bringing that up. I do, however, have common sense enough to know that when you're buying "As-Is" merchandise, you're doing exactly that - purchasing merchandise at a significant discount, which generally comes with a reduced service guarantee.

Chalk this one up to "you live and you learn".

Furthermore....

AUTHOR: Sunflowerchar - (USA)

I feel that if they are going to sell merchandise off the floor (items that are not floor models) it is the same as any other retailer selling products off the shelf. Whether a consumer goes to K-Mart, Target, Macy's or Nordstrom, if they purchase an item off the shelf, they should have the opportunity to return it...especially if the tags are still on the item.

In addition, they should back those products....they don't even warranty the product if it is defective!

What RIPOFF?

AUTHOR: Will - (U.S.A.)

What exactly don't you understand about a "as is" policy?  Try growing up.