Complaint Review: Ashworth College - Ashworth University - PCDI

• Submitted: Sun, March 01, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, January 30, 2010

• Reported By:Montgomery Alabama
Ashworth College - Ashworth University - PCDI
430 Technology Parkway Norcross, Georgia U.S.A.

Ashworth College - Ashworth University - PCDI Ashworth is a Scam/Diploma Mill Norcross Georgia

*General Comment: Take the time to read, William.

*Consumer Suggestion: So An Admitted Cheater Thinks Ashworth Is Somehow Untrustworthy?

I enrolled with Ashworth and was enrolled for several semesters but decided to cancel my enrollment after I felt uneasy about the several different name changes they went through over the past few years. First they were Ashworth College and then Ashworth University and then back to Ashworth College again. I believe they were also PCDI and James Madison at some point. It sounds to me like they might be running from something; possibly a really bad reputation. After I got suspicious about the name change I decided to do some research and found that Ashworth College isn't necessarily a scam but it's more like a nationally accredited diploma mill.

Here are some of my observations:

1) Students can get through the program without even opening a textbook and they will give you the questions for your exams before you even take the test.
2) You do need to go to a proctor when you take your semester exam but your proctor can be your neighbor, best friend, or even a fellow student. Do they really check to see if your proctor is legitimate? I think not.
3) I was able to log into my quiz and take it and then log back in and take it again knowing the correct answers. I was able to score 100's on all of my exams. No one even caught this.
4) It takes about 6 weeks to get your assignments graded but if you call and say your assignment was lost the school will waive your assignment and give you a 100%. No questions asked.
5) Most state schools or regionally accredited institutions will not accept the credits I earned. Yeah, there are a few online schools that will accept some of the credits but I want to have more options. I would like to go to a campus to finish out my degree but I can't get anyone to accept the credits.
6) Their tutors try to help you but they really don't seem to know the subjects and they can't spend very much time with you. You wait on hold for an hour to talk to someone who can only talk to you for 3 minutes about a subject they know nothing about. I feel rushed and put off so that they can get to the next call.
7) My computer courses were about 10 years old and were totally irrelevant and outdated. They make such a big deal about not accepting credits over 10 years old but their curriculum is that old or possibly even older.

I don't want to earn a degree from a school that isn't willing to help a student succeed and makes it so easy to cheat. I see so many people have problems transferring their credits and I'm sure schools are aware of the issues I listed above and this is why. It might be worth it for me to suck it up and pay a little more to earn real credits and earn a regionally accredited diploma which is what the majority of schools and employers are looking for.

Ashworth's degrees are truly worthless and I'm going to have to start over with a regionally accredited school since none of my credits will transfer. I've learned a huge lesson through all of this and I'm hoping to help all of you fellow students looking to further your education. Before you do any business with this company please do your research.

K.M.
Montgomery, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2009 09:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashworth-College-Ashworth-University-PCDI/Norcross-Georgia-30092/Ashworth-College-Ashworth-University-PCDI-Ashworth-is-a-ScamDiploma-Mill-Norcross-Geo-429608. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ashworth College - Ashworth University - PCDI

#1 General Comment

Take the time to read, William.

AUTHOR: Bob - (United States of America)

If you had taken the tlme to read, William, you would have noticed that she had said Ashworth gives you the "Questions", not the "Answers". If reading is your life's challenge, perhaps you should give up Ashworth and go to a real college where reading is required.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

So An Admitted Cheater Thinks Ashworth Is Somehow Untrustworthy?

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

Yes, the name changes in the past year and a half were very irritating. I don't know what that was all about. They're currently accredited with DETC as "Ashworth College", so that's what I use.

As for the rest of your criticisms:

1. The school does NOT give you the answers before you take the test and the questions that are given are from straight out of the textbook. I don't know where you're getting that one.

2. Your proctor cannot be a fellow student. That's written right in the Student Handbook.

3. I just tried to log in on the Student Portal and retake one of my recent exams and couldn't. If you have found some sort of loophole, the responsible thing to do would be to notify the school so they can correct it. Instead, you exploited it to score higher on exams. What does that say about you? Hint: it makes you look bad.

4. I had one of my assignments lost and was required to submit it again. Irritating? Definitely, but they never passed any of my work without seeing and grading it. Furthermore, the school doesn't give percentage grades for written assignments, but only grades on a pass or fail basis. Are you sure we're talking about Ashworth?

5. There are Regionally Accredited schools in your state that have been known to accept DETC accreditation, such as University of Alabama, Huntsville; Athens State University; Troy State University; etc. Did you try any of those?

6. Yes, the tutors on the phone are not very helpful. I usually suggest going to the Ashworth College Internet forum and asking the school's employees there for help.

7. I don't know much about the textbooks for the Computer Science program. I got my degree in Security Management and the oldest textbook was about 8 years old while most of them were from 2 to 4 years old.

Finally, I'm confused by your criticism that it's "too easy to cheat" while you admitted at the same time that you DID cheat by retaking exams to get 100% on everything. All of the exams are "open book", so I don't see why anyone would even feel the need to cheat, unless they're not too smart to begin with. I'm insulted that someone who publicly admits to cheating on exams would accuse the school I go to of being a "diploma mill".

My advice to you is to get in touch with DETC at detc(dot)org and ask them what they recommend you do to transfer your credits. Sometimes, it's all in the presentation. When you're trying to transfer, you might leave out the part that you cheated on all of your exams, however.

copy