Complaint Review: Ashworth College

• Submitted: Thu, December 13, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, December 16, 2012

• Reported By: LokeenPart — Missouri United States of America
Ashworth College

Ashworth College Lied about course content, Billed us 150$ (for materials that never arrived) after we told them we were not interested (within the time they alotted). Internet

My wife and I were both a little interested in courses through Ashworth. She wanted some vet assistant program and I, knowing it would probably be trash, inquired about programming and computer tech skills.

On the phone they gave me a full list of what the course offered. Many of the items seemed as if they were phrased by someone who had heard the jargon used before but had no idea what it meant. So I inquired as to what these vague descriptions meant.

To my delight at first they gave me a list of things I had wanted to learn. When I asked about related subjects which could have easily been covered under the umbrella area and one I had just hoped they had overlooked, I was told it was all included.

At this point I got fishy and realized that I was being lied to blatantly and planted a few items that sounded computer related but were not. Surely enough after pretending to look it up I was told they were in the course too.

My wife had already gotten off the phone at this point and I had her call them back to cancel before we were out any money. Their policy is the longer you wait, the less refund you can receive and as she had only paid the $5 non-refundable charge (could have shot myself when she said she did) We should have owed nothing.

Now a couple months later I'm being sent bills  demanding immediate payment of 156.60 to cover the books they have yet to send (and were never supposed to). And the notice reads "If you do not contact our office within the next five days, we will resume normal collection efforts." Effective date is 12/12/12. I received the letter on 12/13/12.

Called back in and they told me they could only speak to my wife. I told them their mistake and they transferred me to their billing office who also asked to only speak with my wife. When I mentioned their mistake in billing me, they told me they had indeed recognized the cancellation but they still intended to bill me.

At this point I must admit I was very angry and some of it most undoubtedly slipped through my voice. I was then told that they could talk about reducing our bill if they could talk with my wife. To me this seems like someone trying to weasle out. Why would we want to reduce the payment on a bill we shouldn't owe?

I'm now awaiting my wife to get home so they have no excuse not to talk to us on speakerphone. If  that fails I'll be getting a lawyer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/13/2012 02:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ashworth-College/internet/Ashworth-College-Lied-about-course-content-Billed-us-150-for-materials-that-never-arri-981665. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ashworth College