Complaint Review: Asset Acceptance LLC

• Submitted: Wed, March 11, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, May 17, 2009

• Reported By:Ramsey Minnesota
Asset Acceptance LLC
PO Box 2036 Warren, Michigan U.S.A.

Asset AAsset Acceptance LLC Scam??? Warren Michigan

*Consumer Comment: DO THIS

Hi Everybody-

I am here looking for a little advice. A little over 2 years ago I got a letter saying I owe about $400 on an old utility bill. The company that I owed it to is now part of a merger and I don't really know how to prove I paid it. This was 11 years ago that this payment went bad(or at least when I lived at that address). So I went to my credit report and there were no negative factors on my credit report. So I called Asset Acceptance and said I wrote out a check and will send it as soon as they send me some information on this money I "owe". I haven't moved or anything and I heard NOTHING for over 2 years

Yesterday I received a letter on the same debt. It states:

We believe you have recently obtained a new credit card. You can settle this obligation with your new credit card. If you do this by Apr 5 you can receive a 25% discount. So again I called them and said "look I asked for info on this 2 years ago and never heard a word from you until now". He said "we are traded on the stock market and have been around since 1962" I said, that is great for you, but I am not sending anything until I receive some info MAILED to my house". He never agreed to send it, and I never agreed to pay it. I told him there is really no reason for me to pay it because this debt is expired and I really am not sure if it's legit. He just said they will keep sending me a letter then... and that was about the jist of the conversation aside from some details below.

Here are the only things I really know. They grabbed this debt in 2006 and the debt occured sometime in 1999. So that is about 7 years. I am in Minnesota and I think the SOL here is 6 or 7 years....

Is sending a "cease communications" the right thing to do??? I mean, I have asked for the particulars on this 2 times and they dont agree to send it...

To me, this place sounds like a SCAM living on the prayer that they can scare people into paying debt that either doesn't exist or is really old.

Anyone out there with any advice? I would be very thankful to hear some options/opinions.

thanks from MN!

Bres0n
Ramsey, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2009 10:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asset-Acceptance-LLC/Warren-Michigan-48090/Asset-AAsset-Acceptance-LLC-Scam-Warren-Michigan-433033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asset Acceptance LLC

DO THIS

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

do a cease and desist letter to stop all collections and calling. ALSO tell them they do not own the account and can not collect on the account and put it in dispute and send a latter to the credit bureau you DISPUTE THE charges, and look up your sol if it is past they sol just do the same thing to every collector that comes along.

If they call you more than one time you have a right to sue them in small claims court for harassment.

be sure to check your credit bureau once a year in case these collection companies try to re age your account by falsely putting in ghost payments and changing due dates that is a federal crime.

I tore these people up with just a couple letters AND YOU WILL BE JUST FINE DON'T FRET OK :)

Mark