Complaint Review: Asset Acceptance LLC

• Submitted: Mon, January 28, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, January 28, 2008

• Reported By:Marysville Washington
Asset Acceptance LLC
PO Box 2038 Warren, Michigan U.S.A.

Asset Acceptance LLC Warren, MI is Badgering us to pay a phone bill that isn't ours! Warren Michigan

Out of the blue, we get this letter from Asset Acceptance LLC saying that we owe 344.48 for an SBC Michigan phone bill located in Warren MI. We have never lived in Warren Mi, never known anyone there neither relative nor aquaintance. The letter stated that if we responded within 30 days they would send us a copy of the verification of the debt. We assumed this meant the original bill.

We wrote them a letter and called saying that it wasn't and couldn't be our debt. They responded by sending us a request for a copy of the police report saying that we were victims of identity theft. They didn't send us any verification of the debt. So I had an officer come by the house to make a report to send them. Getting the report took a week or so.

In the meantime I called to ask where the verification of the bill was that they stated they would be sending. It was in their original letter in black and white. The lady I talked to argued with me about why I would even care if the debt wasn't mine. I told her, "Look anyone can just set up shop and manufacture these debts and send them to innocent people. I want to see the original bill." She acquiesced and a few days later I was sent a "debt validation" on Asset Acceptance LLC letterhead. Ridiculous!

I sent them a copy of the police report and a letter saying how inauthentic this "debt validation" is. Anyone could have typed it up.

Somehow they have my husband's name and SS# attached to this bill. I checked our credit report and there's nothing there but it did show that Asset Acceptance has requested our report twice over the last year and a half. That's creepy. I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

If anyone has any knowlege of how to proceed I would be appreciative to hear your comments.

Marysville, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2008 05:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asset-Acceptance-LLC/Warren-Michigan-48090/Asset-Acceptance-LLC-Warren-MI-is-Badgering-us-to-pay-a-phone-bill-that-isnt-ours-Warr-304133. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asset Acceptance LLC