lumber

• Reported By: J. — United States of America
Asset Acceptance LLC

Asset Acceptance LLC Incredibly dishonest debt collector Internet, Internet

*Consumer Comment: re:

These people called my cell phone two weeks ago asking for someone else with the same first and last name. Our birthdates were 40 years apart, different SSN's... I asked them to remove my from their call list and they assured me they would. Even so, this was -after- they told me all about this supposed debt I owe without verifying that I am the account holder. This is illegal.

Today they called me again. So much for being off of their call list. I tried to explain again that I'm not the person they're looking for, and was hung up on - not once, but TWICE. I spoke with Tracy and Kim, who both revealed all kinds of account info - illegally - before verifying that I was the account holder. I called them back and by the third time was finally able to get one of them to speak to me like a normal person. She assured me my number would be removed, but I full expect them to call me again.

I will be filing a complaint with the FTC today against this company.
If they call me again I will immediately call my lawyer and file suit for harassment.

I should note as well that apparently everyone there is a "supervisor." Whenever I'd ask for one they'd say "Oh well, I'm a supervisor. Go ahead."

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/28/2011 03:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asset-Acceptance-LLC/internet/Asset-Acceptance-LLC-Incredibly-dishonest-debt-collector-Internet-Internet-782552. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asset Acceptance LLC

re:

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

How to stop collection agency harassment for a debt that is not yours:  -  Send the collection agency a letter via Certified Mail + Return Receipt (do NOT use regular mail) stating:

Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, cease all communications with me about this alleged debt and stop all phone calls to [insert your phone #]. This is not my debt. Receipt of this letter is officially being time stamped via Certified Mail. I will pursue each subsequent phone call from your office with a $1,000 per incident penalty for Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violations.

If they keep calling, read the following statement to them:

Be advised that this call is being recorded. If you do not consent to being recorded, you need to terminate this call. Continuation of this phone call after officially being informed that it is being recorded implies consent to be recorded. This recording will be used to pursue Fair Debt Collection Practice Act violations in a court of law.