Complaint Review: Asset Acceptance

• Updated: Fri, March 29, 2013

• Reported By: Scipoet42 — Buhler Kansas
Asset Acceptance
Warren, Michigan United States of America

Asset Acceptance Asset Acceptance, LLC, Warren, Michigan Unfair debt collection practices, mail and phone harrassment, denyial of important paperwork Warren, Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Dealing with Collection Agencies

Asset Acceptance is trying to harass debt out of me, even though the Statute of Limitations is out of date., and they have not supplied sufficient documents to show I own the account, or that they are licensed to collect.

My ex started an account with a company selling home security. This company broke the electrical in the wall, didn't fix it, and lied about the contract. It was not supposed to be an agreement and it all happened over the phone. The company is now Vivint, used to be APX alarm. The original equipment was installed May/June 2008--then from Oct 2008 to the fall of 2012, no one contacted me about this account. I left that state. I thought I had made it clear to them that they falsified the contract and messed up the electrical in the wall of the house and therefore I didn't feel obligated to make payments. By me I mean my Ex, it was HIS account. As some know, Vivint/APX has been screwing people over for the last four or five years; look up what they did t people in Joplin.

Last fall I started getting mail from Asset Acceptance representing APX/Vivint about the supposed account, which is now apparently 2x what it was when APX lied to me on the phone about the contract(it was installed as an advertising gig for them, and there wasn't supposed to be a contract at all.) It went from 1400 to now 2800 with the newest letter.

Last fall I sent them the letter that you send creditors demanding they prove ownership of the account and provide all the information about it, and copies of all related paperwork. This took me three attempts, after weeks of phone harassment, several calls a day, etc. I sent three letters demanding paperwork. I finally talked with someone on the phone and after some nasty threats, I managed to get their attention. Basically, they were ignoring my legal letters asking, under the Fair Debt Reporting Act, for certain information regarding the account.

Finally, I got the badly copied and barely readable supposed "contract" which never specifies that I was responsible for any bills. What is says is that on this date, APX installed this equipment worth this but costing nothing because of the sign we let them put in the yard. How it lists me is as a "contact" and does have my signature on there, but no where is there a clause saying I am directly responsible for the bill. Basically, a poorly written contract. After they refused to provide me with numerous other information I asked for legally, I contacted Legal Shield and the local participating law office. That law office wrote them a letter requesting participation, and got nothing back. The case was closed. This occurred from September to December of 2012, basically all of last fall. In the legal letter was a stipulation that they had 30 days to provide information or a response.

Its been three months or more. It is now the end of March, and I just got another letter from Asset Acceptance, challenging my dispute about the amount owed. Not only did they provide insufficient information every time I sent the FDRA letter, but they also are outside their time limit to respond and WAY outside the Statute of Limitations. I am done trying to handle them. This time, there will be no second mailbox, there will be no letters from me, there will only be a letter from my legal office.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2013 01:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asset-Acceptance/Warren-Michigan-48090/Asset-Acceptance-Asset-Acceptance-LLC-Warren-Michigan-Unfair-debt-collection-practices-1039105. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asset Acceptance

Dealing with Collection Agencies

AUTHOR: creative consulting group - ()

Asset Acceptance, LLC is notorious for violationg the FTC Consumer Rights. You need to be aware of your rights as a consumer. The following are great starting points that the CA (Collections Agency) and CRA (Credit Reporting Agency) doesn't want the consumer aware.

First start at being aware of your rights.

FCRA ( Fair Credit Reporting Act)

FDCPA ( Fair Debt Collection Act)

And sign up free to www.creditboards.com  Read newbie section and regain your excellent credit.

It will require patience and time.

Those serious about fighting CA (Collection Agencies) and CRA (Credit Reporting Agencies) will find this useful.

We suggest everyone to pay all bills and creditors on time to bypass this.

agricultural