Complaint Review: Asset Management Recovery Services - SBC

• Submitted: Mon, February 05, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, March 31, 2007

• Reported By:Renton Washington
Asset Management Recovery Services - SBC
1301 N. Palm Canyon Dr. #205 Palm Springs, California U.S.A.

Asset Management Recovery - SBC Phone Company Erroneous debt allegedly from SBC. Debt does not exist and is not mine. File a lawsuit immediately ripoff Palm Springs California

*Author of original report: State Usary Laws

*Consumer Suggestion: Iccari

*Consumer Suggestion: General question

*Author of original report: Asset Management of Palm Springs was erroneously listed and the correct company that should be listed is Asset Acceptance

*Author of original report: Suit against Asset Management and Recovery must be brought as a Class Action

*Consumer Suggestion: randal

*Consumer Suggestion: DISPUTE THE DEBT AND COPY THE CREDIT BUREAUS

Earlier today I presented myself at School Employees Credit Union of Washington for the purpose of applying for an auto loan. The loan was denied and I was advised that there was adverse information on my Experian Credit Report from Asset Management, a collection agency of California. The lender informed me that the credit report showed that Asset Management was collecting this for SBC.

This debt is not mine. Approximately two years ago, I received a notice from Asset Management alleging that I owed money to SBC for a California address that I have never had. I live in Washington State. I contacted both SBC and Asset Management and Asset Management advised me that they would contact the merchant, but couldn't adjust the debt. At this point I filed a formal online complaint with the California Public Utility Commission and the next day I received a phone call from a representative who advised me that the CPUC was going to make a ruling in my favor and against SBC Phone Company for erroneous billing information.

I have not heard anything from anyone until I applied for credit today. I have again contacted Glen Brock at Asset Management and Recovery. This agency should be sued because I have never had a phone account at this address. I believe the following URL to be the correct web address for SBC http://www.att.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=3308

Randal
Renton, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2007 10:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asset-Management-Recovery-Services-SBC/Palm-Springs-California-92262/Asset-Management-Recovery-SBC-Phone-Company-Erroneous-debt-allegedly-from-SBC-Debt-doe-234579. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asset Management Recovery Services - SBC

State Usary Laws

AUTHOR: Randal - (U.S.A.)

I can not speak for the state that you live in, but in Washington State the State Usary laws can be looked up in the RCWs (Revised Code of Washington). I suspect the fastest way to look up the law in your state would be to contact your local county law library and ask the librarian to direct you to the area of the law that addresses the maximum interest rate allowed by law.

Also, you might be able to contact your state law library for the same information by e-mail.

Hope this helps.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Iccari

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

This may help try to google: state interest rates & usury limits or lectlaw

#3 Consumer Suggestion

General question

AUTHOR: Iccari - (U.S.A.)

How would a person go about finding out what the interest rate is for each state?

AUTHOR: Randal - (U.S.A.)

Previously a report was filed against Asset Recovery of Palm Springs. This information was conveyed initially by the lender and confirmed by SBC. Both the lender and SBC have now retracted this information and believe the company is Asset Acceptance.

I have again contacted both Asset Recovery of Palm Springs and Asset Acceptance of Wisconsin. Asset Acceptance of Wisconsin admits having an account, but alleges the account is out of their Arizona Office. Asset Recovery denies having the account.

I have contacted the Editor of this website to let them know of the error and have taken steps to strike all reference to Asset Recovery of Palm Springs. All other facts in the case are the same.

Suit against Asset Management and Recovery must be brought as a Class Action

AUTHOR: Randal - (U.S.A.)

Any suit against Asset Management and Recovery must be brought as a Class Action. Locally attorneys want an enormous amount of money up front and they won't take the case on contingency. Only an attorney that handles Class Actions will be financially successfull at bringing in the reigns of Asset Management. Sadly this is the reality of the Fair, Debt, and Collections Practice Act.

I did contact Experian yesterday and today and they want $10 to review the matter online; otherwise I have to wait more than 30 days. The Fair Debt and Collection Practices act is 20 years out of date and Experian or any other collection agency shouldn't be allowed more than 72 hours to fix a problem.

It is ironic that Banks and other lenders can access your credit with the click of the mouse, but you can't get such expediency when it comes to fixing erros in a credit report. And the reason why is the law is bad.

My case against Asset Management needs to be consolidated with all of the innumerable other cases against them into one big thorn in their side.

May the Bird of Paradise drop a nuclear turd on their headquarters in Palm Springs. :(

#6 Consumer Suggestion

randal

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Make copies of the email and dispute the debt with the credit bureau. if they don't remove it sue.

and if now collection agency, does validate, use there email against them.

damage was done to your credit, you shouldn't let them get away with this

AUTHOR: Randal - (U.S.A.)

I received an e-mail this morning from Glen Brock, owner of Asset Management. He alleges that he doesn't have this account in his files. However, he is unwilling to contact Experian to have the information removed from the Experian Credit Burueau.

#11 Consumer Suggestion

Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;

1. NEVER talk to a collection agency on the phone. Period.
2. Keep good records. This can be the difference between a good and bad settlement. Don't expect them to remember you or what you agreed upon.
3. Send all correspondence via registered mail, receipt requested and put the registered mail number ON THE LETTER. DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER TYPE YOUR NAME
4. Keep a copy of every letter you send.
5. Penalties and extra interest are typically fictious amounts of money added on by the collection agency to pad their profits. Sometimes as much as to 50% of the debt or more claimed to be owed by a collection agency consisting of interest and fees. This is illegal, every state has usery laws (which dictate the maximum interests allowed to be charged. That is except North Dakota. There are no such laws which is why most credit card companies incorporate there.) Junk debt buyer pay anywhere from 1 cent to 7 cents on the dollar, there is no way there is this much interest.

#12 Consumer Suggestion