Complaint Review: Assurant Solutions (extended warranties)

• Submitted: Wed, April 25, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, May 09, 2012

• Reported By: Fighting Back — San Diego California United States of America
Assurant Solutions (extended warranties)
4550 Excel Parkway #400 dallas, Texas United States of America

Assurant Solutions (extended warranties) Extreme avoidance of responsibility, lack of ethics, complete runaround, main goal is to frustrate consumer so they give up the fight dallas, Texas

*Author of original report: Update - Buyers beware & Consumers fight back

I am the owner of a GE Profile Counter-depth Frig (which was $1000 higher than a regular frig).  At time of purchase I also bought the extended warranty from GE (or so I thought) for 48 months.  The first week of December 2011, the frig quit working completely.  It took more than three weeks for repairs due to Assurant Solutions not being able to find the warranty within their database system.  Documents were faxed to Assurant in December, via the vendor that the appliance was purchased from, and conferenced telephone calls occurred with Assurant, GE, the Vendor, and myself to get the warranty information updated into Assurant's system.

It is now April 25th, and I have yet to receive my warranty.  I have had numerous and continuous contact with Assurant - they can only blame others for their ineptitude and take no responsibility for their own lack of competency.  Their phone system is set up to bounce the consumer continually back to the first level... Trying to get a real person is darn near impossible.  (I'll give you hints how to bypass at the end of this) This morning I received a call from the corporate escalated rep out of Dallas (I was originally dealing with people in Atlanta)

Perhaps my emails being copied to AG's consumer affairs divisions helped?  I have now been told everything is corrected (it is not) and the warranty will be sent to me.  I have already received two incorrect warranties for a totally different appliance purchased from a completely different vendor on a different date..... All Assurant has done now, is to assign the warranty contract number for the other appliance to the frig..... not acceptable.  Merely an attempt to avoid responsibility for the other warranty..... do they really think consumers are so stupid?  Obviously, yes.

Buyers beware....GE sends all their extended warranty business to this ripoff group, and then does everything it can to avoid responsibility.  I have included GE PR rep in my most recent correspondence with Assurant, and told that person that they needed to drop Assurant completely.  The only thing the consumer will be assured of, when dealing with these people, is complete frustration and a guaranteed runaround.  For anyone dealing with these lovely folks here is some valuable info:  Select option 4 when you dial the 800 number, then enter any four digits..... it actually got me in to the consumer relations division....boy were they shocked.

Otherwise the phone system continuously bounces you back to level one, and no-one at that level will provide an extension number, or full name when you talk to them.  They will disconnect your call, Oooops.... they will not return your call.... and they will do everything in their power to avoid and frustrate you.  But don't give up.... be a tenacious fighter.... it is the only way to stop these crooks.  And report their activities to the AG consumer affairs divisions in your state and every state where they have offices.... Texas, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/25/2012 09:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Assurant-Solutions-extended-warranties/dallas-Texas-75001/Assurant-Solutions-extended-warranties-Extreme-avoidance-of-responsibility-lack-of-eth-873558. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Assurant Solutions (extended warranties)

Update - Buyers beware & Consumers fight back

AUTHOR: SLC - (United States of America)

Per documents in front of me now, I see I had the first major repair to this appliance on June 16th, 2011 when the "Board ASM Main Control" was replaced under warranty.  That repair occurred timely and at no cost.  At the header of the receipt for that repair it reads, Authorized Servicer for Assurant Solutions, with the GE logo appearing to the left of the header. When the frig broke down again the first week of December, I called numbers that appeared on that receipt, and was led in the direction of Assurant Solutions.  (If you are reading this update you should read the first of my report as well for it bears on the update herein.)

My last dealing(s) with Assurant were in the form of Ems, and the VM's left by their representative, who finally told me Assurant did not hold the warranty, but it was held by Warrentech, and then he provided an 800 phone number, which when I called it answered from a hot sex phone line . (Lovely) I had gotten to the point where I would not accept their calls and had asked them to communicate in writing.  He refused to accommodate that request, but did leave voice mails on my answering machine.

In the meantime I was copying the GE PR rep and the GE Board of Directors in my EM correspondence to Assurant.  I had also left VM for the GE PR rep regarding Assurants last communication with me,  and after leaving that message, I received a phone call from a gentleman who identified himself as Mr. Bill Bower with GE consumer relations. This occurred yesterday, May 8th.  He was calling to make certain I had received the information as to which company actually held the warranty on my refrigerator, and to also affirm that GE had received my concerns about Assurant. When I asked him why GE continues to partner with Assurant, he attempted to debate that they did not.   I argued that with every GE appliance the American consumers buy, we are offered (and usually encouraged) to also buy extended warranties on the products.  GE sends millions of dollars to the extended warranty companies via the consumers. GE makes millions (but check out the taxes they pay!), warranty companies make millions and receive awful reviews, and the consumer pays. (Boy oh boy, do we pay!)
GE needs to review the whole extended warranty issue, and take a good hard look at the reviews consumers are offering.  It is deplorable - "shame on them", were my last words to Mr. Bower.
So after ending my call with Mr. Bower, I did contact the original vendor (Pacific Sales) where I purchased the appliance from, and was almost immediately emailed a pdf file of my warranty contract with Warrentech. Mr. Bower had told me Pacific Sales sales the extended warranties only to Warrentech, and Home Depot sales to Assurant.  Why then, when the first breakdown & repair occurred, did I receive an invoice with Assurant Solutions name appearing in the header? Why were they so incompetent to repair my refrigerator twice, which it now appears was never under warranty with them?  Why was Assurant so incompetent that they told me over and over and over, my warranty info would be corrected, and a hard copy sent to me? And why is it, that only when I started to play hard ball with all the parties involved, that everyone was able to get their information straight, and I the consumer, was finally able to get a simple hard copy of the appliance warranty I had asked for five months earlier?

Perhaps the Hand of Providence reaches down to touch us for a reason.  I have learned a lot of learned a lot of disturbing things on this little journey, and I am not going to forget my first hand experiences in trying to deal with Assurant Solutions. (They do hold an extended warranty of a range hood purchased from Home Depot.)  I repeat - GE needs to drop them like a hot potato! I guess I will find out if Warrntech is any better if, or when, my refrigerator breaks down again.

Buyers beware.... and consumers.... Keep fighting back.  I found I got attention when I began to include the following in my correspondence; AG's in states where the corporation (or company) holds physical locations, Consumer Affairs reporter(s), Corporate Governance members, my legal file, and best of all "other interested parties" (which will leave you an open door to share the information with everyone you meet).  Don't be passive - fight back and help the next consumer in line.