Complaint Review: Astar Travel - Florida

• Submitted: Thu, July 12, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, December 16, 2007

• Reported By:Auckland Other
Astar Travel - Florida
12421 N. Florida Ave. Suite C-220 Tampa, FL 33612, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 813-6768900
  • Web:
  • Category: Cruises

Astar Travel - Florida Bahama's Boats and Bull Tampa Florida

*UPDATE Employee: ASTAR IS FOR REAL....

Thanks to Mary or Whangarei.

My home phone has been ringing at around 0630 for the past 3 days in a row . I have been ignoring it as "excuse me this is my valuable sleep time Anyway, I was foiled this morning when my flat mate slept walked and answered the phone. Lilly, it's for you, someone from America.

After reluctantly excusing myself from the scantily clad beach boys in my dream, I picked up the phone...

American Lady: "Oh my gosh" (in a thick American accent) "you have won a trip to the Bahamas. You are one of 11 lucky winners who entered the online competition. Isn't that fantastic"

Lilly (Me): Arrrh do you realise that it is 0630 in the morning here in New Zealand?

American Lady: Yes well it is 3pm in the afternoon here.

Basically, after a speal of about 5 minutes of what this prize package included she asked if I would be interested in talking to someone who would be able to arrange my tickets. I was then passed on to David Newbury.

David congratulated me and went on to confirm what I had already been told. Once again after another full on sales pitch I was told that all I had to do was give him my credit card details and he would deduct $900US (approx $1300NZ) from my card, and wasn't this a fantastic offer for a 15 day trip for me and three friends. Costing us approximately $325NZ each. I agreed that this was certainly a great price if all he had said was legitimate.

I continued to express my being uncomfortable with giving a total stranger my credit card details. David went on to assure me that everything was legitimate and that they were working with the likes of Disney, and Hilton Hotels and if he was not legit he wouldn't be working with these brands. I said that anyone could rattle of some house hold names, that doesn't mean he is legitimate. He then went on to say that the company has been running for over 20 years and this is what they do. He also said that there were approx 47 people around him at this particular time and the company was legitimate.

Obviously after much banter I still remained suspicious. I said OK, how about I call you back. He gave me his contact number and name, and said that he would get himself a coffee, and await my call. Meanwhile I called my ASB Bank, Credit Card Services.

I spoke to Credit Card Services, asked if they had heard of Astar Travel, and if they knew of any dodgy dealings. They said that they would get back to me. During this time my cell phone rang 3 times. Knock knock, who's there, David Newbury by chance??

I started doing some further research. My concern was if they were legitimate, what a fool I am for being sooo cautious. If they are not legitimate, what a fool I am for being so gullible.

At the end of the day, I see that these people are who they say they are, and they do offer packages. However after finding these articles from disgruntled customers and employees, I think that my caution has been a wise move.

Once again thank you to Mary from Whangarei.

So to everyone out there, just beware.

Happy Travel

Lilly
Auckland
New Zealand

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/12/2007 01:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Astar-Travel-Florida/Tampa-FL-33612-Florida-33612/Astar-Travel-Florida-Bahamas-Boats-and-Bull-Tampa-Florida-260323. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Astar Travel - Florida

ASTAR IS FOR REAL....

AUTHOR: Gina - (U.S.A.)

This company is legit, our company sells these highly discounted vacations to people that filled out entry forms for the vacations in over 50 different countries. On these entry forms they give us a lot of their personal information, when they are QUALIFIED.... they are qualified based on the demographics in their area.... We do not charge the credit card until they give authorization on a RECORDED phone call for that charge... what they are receiving is explained to them MORE THAN ONCE... the reason we do sell these packages are to get them down here to have a great time and to visit a brand new timeshare resort....

YES they do attend a 60 to 90 minute presentation and after that they can go on with their vacation NO PRESSURE NO OBLIGATIONS.... We do not tell you the vacation is free... that is also clearly stated on the entry form they fill out... that it is NOT A CONTEST OR A LOTTERY....the company is for real... we also have a direct link computer access with both mastercard and visa what that means, is that both companies have done a complete background investigation on our company and has given us the greenlight with full merchant privileges and you are as secure as if you had given the card number to your banker and since we are a licensed company you would recieve nothing less and nothing more than what was described to you..if you didn't we would lose our merchant privileges... your credit card is protected under FDIC insurance which means you are not responsible for any unauthorized charge to your card...that is why we record the call...to protect you and our company....that is also why we give you multiple chances to ask as many questions as you need and why you are told what you are receiving multiple times...now why would we have been in business for so long if it was fraud or a scam?? we don't lie to you we are not trying to take your money...it is not a scam.... if you have noticed... there is nobody on this website that has actually taken the trip...

it is all people who thought they were scammed because they first off didn't ask any questions obviously, and second off started reading all these negative false things on the internet.... now I surely am not going to say all of this about the company on my TIME OFF if I was lying about it... this company really is legit and it is a WONDERFUL very AFFORDABLE vacation....