Complaint Review: Asurion

• Updated: Sat, December 01, 2012

• Reported By: Mel — Modesto California United States of America
Asurion

Asurion Insurance thru Verizon Asurion is ripping me off !!! Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: How to get around it. Ask for Supervisor to investigate

I filed a claim with Asurion cuz my Iphone was stolen. They sent me a refurbished phone which didn't work... The screen wouldn't work when touched so they sent me a brand new one . I sent the defective one back after two days. I went to my post office and dropped it in the mailbox in their pre-addressed envelope. They don't require u to go thru the PO and get ins or tracking number. That's their mistake. I got the new phone around 11/1/12 and sent it back 11/5/12 after the weekend. Now they r threatening to charge me $330. I already paid a $189 deductible (which originally was $50 when I first got the ins with my blackberry and when I got the iPhone, Verizon never told me the deductible would change but that's a different rip off). I have seen others with the same situation as me...they are a ripp off! What they need to do I'd require it be sent back to them with ins and delivery confirmation not just an envelope with them paying the cost to the PO when the phone arrives! Maybe the PO lost it? Maybe Asurion I'd sitting on it? I don't know, but I nailed it back and I have a witness that was with me when I did!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/30/2012 11:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asurion/internet/Asurion-Insurance-thru-Verizon-Asurion-is-ripping-me-off-Internet-976099. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asurion

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

How to get around it. Ask for Supervisor to investigate

AUTHOR: Corr - (Canada)

Just to let you know, if you bothered to read or listen to the instructions, you would know that the envelope is only for the originally damaged phone. But yours was not damaged, it was stolen, therefore the envelope is useless for you but it is automatically shipped out in every package. The way to return a replacement that was already sent out to you is to put it back in the box and use the shipping label that should have been provided with your NEW phone. If it was not you should have called to request it. You would have had to stick it on the box, and call UPS for a pickup. That way it gets back to Asurion within 3 days and is recorded on your claim so you are not charged the 300 non return fee.

However, there may be a way around this. When you file a claim for a damaged phone and you send it back in the envelope they are expecting it, so when they receive it they record the serial number in the system. But if you file a claim for stolen phone, there is no serial number to record because there is no phone to be sent back. Also, when you send back a replacement that was already sent to you, it is the same, but in a different system and only if it is sent back in the right way.

Now Asurion would have received the phone but recorded the serial number in the area where it shows a damaged phone would have been returned, so if you call, tell them you sent it back, and to check that area, if they show a serial number, it means you returned the phone.

Honestly, you reported a stolen phone, no phone to be sent back, got one that wasn't working, sent it back, got your new one. So as long as they show they received A phone back, they should not charge you, but you would have to fight for it and ask for a supervisor to investigate it.

I used to work for them and I dealt with this issue more than once.