Complaint Review: Asurion

• Submitted: Fri, May 02, 2014
  • Updated: Fri, May 02, 2014

• Reported By: chris14020 — Akron New York
Nationwide USA

Asurion Denied calim due to "Program abuse" but unwilling to justify reasoning Nationwide

I had a phone fall and break on the 28th. I filed for a replacement phone, paid my deductible, and then got a new phone.

I activated it, then used it for about a day. It fell out of my pocket at work, and the screen shattered again. I filed a new claim, and paid my deductible. AGAIN.

They approved this claim as well, and sent a phone.  I got an approval confirmation, and a tracking number. The next day, no phone. I looked up the tracking number to find "Returned to sender: Returned to sender at sender's request" as the status.

What's going on here? No notification of any issues, anything. I call up, and get told that this is because of "Program abuse". However, they would not tell me what the "program abuse" was, or give any specifics. I asked them, "So you're saying you can simply deny claims without giving an actual reason?" The response, "That is correct."

So wait. Why was I still being charged insurance if they will not cover me? I inquired as to this, and they fed me a line that "we are not your wireless provider, and cannot remove insurance from your account." I asked them what happens if I get this repaired elsewhere? Then is it still covered? The adjuster replied that it will never be able to be covered again due to "program abuse".

So Asurion is willing to charge customers for insurance, even when they will NEVER replace their phone for them again. Beautiful.

I called back again, this time I was fed a completely different line. I was told that there was no "billable usage" shown for the serial number of the replacement phone. Why is this response being given? That's a different response than last time! Apparently, you have to make a call (not text, not data usage, CALL) for them to be willing to cover your device, to "activate" the insurance. I told her I had made a call on my phone, and asked her why that would not show up, nor the texts or data I had used. This was dodged with repetition of "there is no "billable usage" shown for your new phone." Unfortunately I was disconnected, so I called back again.

This time, back to the same "Program abuse" line. Why does the story keep changing? Which is it? This adjustor had simply said they will not do anything and would not confirm or deny the previous "billable usage" line, and hung up on me.

Now what of my deductible? They said, even though I NEVER received the phone that I was sent, and it was pulled back, that they would not refund it until they get the phone THEY sent back. Now I am left with no phone, and no ability to afford a new phone until they get the phone back.

That is nothing you need in an insurance company. What sort of customer service is denying honoring something you're charging a customer for, then refusing to explain why? Then giving many different and conflicting answers, the whole nine yards. Something seems fishy there.

So, look into one of the alternatives, any alternative, but Asurion? That's nothing you need.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2014 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Asurion/nationwide/Asurion-Denied-calim-due-to-Program-abuse-but-unwilling-to-justify-reasoning-Nationwide-1143630. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Asurion