Complaint Review: At The Beach Tanning

*Consumer Comment: comment to Jon

*Consumer Comment: Response

*Consumer Suggestion: @ the lady going on about her daughter

*Consumer Comment: comment

*Author of original report: Picking a fight

*Consumer Comment: stupid...

I got a membership at this company because I often participate in bikini competitions. Many of which my agency would fly me to other states so I could compete. I used my membership well and often, until I found out I was pregnant. Obviously I am not going to tan while pregnant, so I froze my account for the allotted 3 months in a store. I asked the girl working there how to freeze my account until I had my baby, she gave me the number on the back of their brochure and told me to call corporate.

I called corporate immediately after leaving the store, and the representative on the phone told me to just call and let them know when I had my child so they could reactivate my account. Fast forward to present day...

I go in to tan after my child is a few months old and figure I will just tell the girl there to reactivate my account. Lo and behold, I have a GIANT outstanding balance because I had lost my debit card. Since I had not called to notify them, I was given several extra fees. I told her about the representative on the phone who told me he had froze my account until I was ready to use it again. She said the correct procedure is for me to have to send them proof of pregnancy to freeze the account. I called corporate again right then and there, and the guy on the phone said there were no notes in my account stating a freeze for pregnancy and kept parroting back the same policy the girl in the store had already told me.

The representative said he can help with a few fees, but not all of them. Then transferred me to his supervisors voicemail. I called back, and was transferred to another voicemail. This happened 3 times. I guess all of their supervisors were on vacation.

The next step is to find their local corporate office. Because this is ridiculous. I am beyond livid.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2011 09:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/At-The-Beach-Tanning/AURORA-Colorado-80016/At-The-Beach-Tanning-Doesnt-care-about-harming-unborn-babies-AURORA-Colorado-764923. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on At The Beach Tanning

comment to Jon

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

I don't usually get hostile on ROR because it's not worth my time. But you really are an idiot.  First of all, only 5-10% of all skin cancers seem to have a heritable basis. That information comes from the American Cancer Society, and I suspect they know more than you. No one in my family has had ANY kind of cancer so we can rule that out in my daughter's case.  Second, the heat of a tanning bed averages 102 degrees if proper ventilation and fans are used.  So although it gets hot, that's not hot enough to hurt the baby if you're only in there for about 15-20 minutes.  Third, I DO know what I'm talking about. And, as is my policy, I refuse to have a battle of the wits with an unarmed opponent so I'm done (probably).

Response

AUTHOR: Jon - (U.S.A.)

Well first of all it's not the uv penetration it's the heat that can hurt the baby. Know what your even talking about before you start running your mouth and most cases of skin cancer is hereditary I bet you didnt know that now did you. Any exposure to uv light example the bright thing in the sky called the sun lol or a tanning bed. Your body has to have vitamin D or you would die.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

@ the lady going on about her daughter

AUTHOR: Bobby - (USA)

If you dont have anything constructive the issue, stay off your soapbox and move on.

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

First, I don't troll the internet. I come to ROR to read about ripoffs that may pertain to me and, occasionally, to laugh at the idiocy of others (I'm not including you in that remark).

Second, when you post on ROR you subject yourself to comments from others. Be prepared.

Third, tanning probably won't hurt the baby as the UV rays won't penentrate. If they did, everyone would be cooked from the inside. But I still wouldn't take the chance.

Lastly, it sounds as if the corporate office HAS a good policy in allowing you to freeze your account. Perhaps it would've been useful to you to have a confirmation number or something else in writing that indicates your account was frozen.

I'm also curious as to the relevency of the lost debit card. Where they continuing to charge it as your posts suggests? Just because the card was lost doesn't mean you can't check your account online. Perhaps the first unauthorized charge would've clued you in that there was a miscommunication that needed attention.

Picking a fight

AUTHOR: MissMilaAndI - (United States of America)

This is about terrible company policies, not personal choices. I appreciate your input, and I am sorry to hear about your daughter, but I must ask why are you trolling the internet? This is my personal choice to tan, and it is JUST MYSELF in the tanning bed. Tanning pregnant is, quite obviously, radically different. Take a chill pill lady.

stupid...

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

So you won't tan because it will hurt your baby, but you don't care about skin cancer? That's absurd.  I wish I could attach a picture of the cancerous moles my daughter had to have removed (at the age of 25).  One was so large and deep they had to cut through to her ribs.  She now has a nice big scar that detracts from her otherwise great figure (no bikini for her!).  Another was on her face, and she has a nice scar from that too.

When will women learn that it just isn't worth it???