Complaint Review: At The Beach - Wichita, KS

• Updated: Tue, August 28, 2012

• Reported By: very upset — Wichita Kansas United States of America
At The Beach - Wichita, KS
7825 West Maple Street Wichita, Kansas United States of America

At The Beach - Wichita, Kansas Maple location Poor customer service and tells you different things then what they put in contract Wichita, Kansas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: At the Beach

I went into At The Beach as they are centrally located throughout town making it easy to go there after work.   I told the gentleman what I was looking for in a package.   I specifically said I only wanted a Month Contract.  That is it.  He said that was no problem and of course said i needed the highest price package.  I was going on vacation in less than a month and so figured that I probably would need the higher priced beds.   And he was a good sales man because he made it very convincing that, using the higher priced beds was the only way I was going to get tan before I left for vacation.

I agreed to a packaged and started the whole contract steps.  First thing I noticed, they had my name spelled wrong.  (I had used this salon two years previously, so they still had me in their system)  I mentioned it to the gentleman and he said that it wasn't a big deal, that they couldn't change it anyway but he would submit it to corporate that I needed my name changed.  They also had my wrong address.  But again I was told that it didn't matter.

Next we went thru the charges.  The gentleman asked for the card I would like charged.  I gave him my credit card.  I asked again at this time that it was only a month contract and he said yes.

Next came the signing of the documents.  They put the documents up on a computer screen that they have access to control.  The person signing does not have access to the read the contract at the time because they control the mouse.  All they do is show you the top header of the contract and then scroll to the bottom.  In the meantime of scrolling they are telling you what the contract says.  Later I learned this in not what it says.  But they don't give you access to control the mouse to look at the contract.  I am a person who gives everyone the benifit of the doubt the first time.  I don't feel people are out there to screw you over.  I am wrong.

We went thru all the documents and came to the last one regarding payment.  I agree to have my card charged for the amount agreed to.   Again see the top of the page and then he scrolls to very bottom where only my signature goes.   Trusting the employee, I gave him my card, I seen him type in my credit card info, I signed the document.  I got a credit card reciept for the amount agreed to.

They then do print this contract out for you.  At the same time the are telling you a bunch other things and putting you in a bed.

The month went by and I went on vacation.  I kept checking my credit card to make sure that it didn't get charged again.  It didn't.  All was fine and dandy till I got a statement from a different bank account that I haven't used in two years and see there was a charge from At the Beach.    They charged a card they had on file from two years ago when I tanned there.    I called to talk to the local office and the manager there just kept apologizing and saying that they couldn't do anything I needed to talk to corporate.

I called corporate and the first person said that the contract I signed had the old account number on it and that is why it was charged, that I needed to talk to the Manager.  I get transfered and of course I get a voice mail.   I leave a voicemail and wait.   The manager did call me back later that day and said that I signed the contract there was nothing he could do.  I explained to him that the customer doesn't get to see what they are signing.  The employee shows you the top and then immediately scrolls to the bottom.  I should be able to trust what their employee is telling me.  After all their employee is a representative of the company.   I explained to him how I checked over and over with the employee that this was not a continous contract and only a month.  I was told it was.   THe managers answer was I signed the contract.   No where was i shown in the contract that it was continous.  I was told it wasn't, if I had been shown that part of the contract I wouldn't of signed it.  Probably the reason the employee didn't show it to me.

Then I brought up to the manager that they charged a bank account that I used 2 year ago with them.  Not the account that I gave them permission to charge this time.  His answer was you signed the contract.  Again I wasn't shown this part, and why was the correct card charged the first time but not the second time if it supposedly was on the contract.    The managers answer was the employee ran the card himself.   He was supposed to update the info and I saw him typing it in the computer.  Where is he putting this information if its not going on the contract?    But wait then I get told he can't update the info because corporate has to update the account.   So again where is my info going if corporate didn't update the account and the person who is asking you to sign a contract can't update my account?

The manager then told me that there are no verbal agreements by At The Beach.  Yes there are.  Your employees verbally are agreeing to things when they work with a customer.  They are represenatives of your company.  You have to take responsibility for your employees.  I was verbally told that this was only a month contract.  I was verbally told that my correct account was charged.  Instead they want to blame it on the consumer for signing a contract they are verbally explained to by their employees.  Only the problem is their employees aren't actually telling you what the contract really says.    The manager proceeded to tell me this is all my fault and that I should have read the contract before signing it.  I didn't get a chance to and I didn't have control over the viewing monitor.   If i had control over the monitor then I would have been able to see more of the contract.  Or if I was given the contract in paper to read before signing then I would have read it.  But you don't get a copy of it until it is signed.  That's when you get to see the whole contract.   If there ever is a next time I will go in and take the computer away from the employee and read every single word.  We'll see if I get told whether I can have control over their computer system.

The manager did tell me he could give me a free month of service.  Free my a$$ you already charged me for the month so its not free.  Remember thats the charge I am trying to get refunded.  But according the manager they don't have access to refund charges.

The corporate office maybe needs to spend a little more time at their stores and really see what their employees (representatives of their company) are telling their customers.  See how they are treating them, and see what really goes on during a contract signing.  Not to mention take a couple customer service lessons themselves.  What ever happened to the saying "the customer is always right"  Instead of blaming them.

Also whatever happened to making it right with the customer.  If this was my company and I had a customer as unhappy as I was I would refund them their money and also insure that the the contract policy and employees involved would be looked at.  There is no reason the money can't be refunded.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/28/2012 04:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/At-The-Beach-Wichita-KS/Wichita-Kansas-67209/At-The-Beach-Wichita-Kansas-Maple-location-Poor-customer-service-and-tells-you-differen-933924. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on At The Beach - Wichita, KS

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

At the Beach

AUTHOR: Jaime - ()

I am a former manager for the At the Beach at Maize and 21st in Wichita ks......It is sad that at the beach gets such bad reviews and complaints......Unfortunately though this is not exactly yay or nay as to who is right or wrong.

I worked there from February 2012 to March 2013. Now i do not know any emplyees that worked there withing the last 4 months even except for maybe 2 people that had stayed. This is due to the fact that hardly anyone who went through the training i knew could handle that job. Working there is quite a task, you have to educate everyone that comes in the door about each bed, how they work, what will give them the best color with the least amount of exposure....Then there is the lotion...your step ones, and twos, the best for your skin, the best for your wallet if you are on a tight budget, etc. From the moment you start, you are in constant training about everything to do with tanning, we actually become certified in tanning lol. There is so much to learn!!

Now the At the Beach was not in the best position when i was there because it is a very professional establishment that requires so much training, but since it is a tanning salon, we only had young flighty people applying. It seemed fun and games for them until they got on the floor and realized, YES you actually have to work!!! Not only do you have to do your daily emailing, inventory, phone calls, and cleaning, we were also required to prospect outside of the salon on hour before or after every shift...We also have mandatory meetings each week, sometimes 2-3 a week, that each lasted a minimum of 2 hours, if not 4-6. Those you had to go to even if you had just opened the store from 7am-3pm!!!

Considering that it is a place where people were taking clothing off and lying on acrylic NAKED, it required a more that generous amount of cleaning!! this seemed to be one of the main issues with keeping good employees....young people these days seem to think that if they dont do it, then the next person will pick up their slack, while the next one just gets mad and then refuses to do it since "Nobody else does it!", then the cycle repeats.

The whole time i was there, we were 9 out of 10 times not busy enough to have a bed tech....this meant that we were the only person there for 8 hours.....wich means that you have to tour every single new person, as well as make sure that your current members are being taken care of and beds getting cleaned after they exit in a timely manner, as well as make sure the solutions for the sunless spray were maintained and towels, and make sure all your above stated requirements were completed...... BY YOURSELF!!!! most of our tanners dont realize how hard this is, and several times a day you could expect to be cussed out, or snubbed in some sort of way. alot  of them think that they are absolutly top priority because they have the highest package, etc.

our tanning seemed high priced, but after you know the costs to maintain our bulbs every 500 hrs, wich by the way is half of the required law for salons to change their bulbs, you understood that our quality couldnt be competed with. also our knowledge alone is incomparable to any other salon in that town!! trust me i went to every single one i coult find around the corner to see what exactly they knew!!! i have spent hours upon hours checking out the competition. obviously people seemed to understand that we had the best, thats why they got the best package....if they couldnt afford it, then we still had amazing lower end beds that they could. PRICE....UNBEATABLE!!!

now the memberhips...this seemed to be the BIGGEST issue for sure!! Yes it is all computer generated, and we have a screen that shows you everything WORD FOR WORD. No you may not have the mouse in your hand, but at any time you can tell the consultant, " Hey, can you slow down" (if they are moving too fast), or whatever. Each page is setup to where you HAVE to sign EVERY SINGLE ONE before we can even move on to the next one. As for me, i never ever sign anything unless i fully understand what it is. Yes you can take whoevers word for it, but you should always read it yourself, and the pages are not that long. Unfortunatly though it comes back to the young employees, who alot of times were to lazy to read our members everything. That was something that bothered me to no end!! i personally made sure that they were fully aware of everything, but you really do need to read it yourself, and i would tell everyone to read through it as well just to verify what i was saying.

now the system....at the beach only has one corporate office. so every single member's account at every location in every state is handled there. with only having one location, with such a small database, lets just say stuff messes up from time to time. i handled alot of accounts that hadnt gotten canceled, even though we did cancel it, or as with your case where the old card got put back on file. the month to month memberships seemed to be the biggest hassel when it came to the cancelations. since you were adamant that you wanted only one month, that person most likely thought they could just ring in your cancelation then and it would be good, but you have to wait at least 3 days or the system will kick off the membership completely. then when you came in the next day or whenever they saw that you did not have a memberhips to tan on, but they could see in the history that you have just purchased a month membership on whatever day it was....

So.... instead of causing a comotion and telling you that you didnt have one when you clearly had paid for one, they thought they would just re-ring it in and it would be good. when that happens though corporate has to do it because if you cancel out a membership before those 3 days then it erases whatever card was on file, so then the old card would have been the only thing saved on your account. they are working on figuring our why it does that, but it happened alot, and it was just the system messing up, but they can just fix it manually. If it isnt takin care of through corporate though then it would not have gotten canceled out properly, because basicly it started your membership over in the system with that old card and so then you were drafted another month. unfortunately  at the beach does not refund due to the fact that we dont know what happens to product once it leaves the store.

I agree, they need to spend much much more time with their employees during the in store trainging process to make sure that people can properly inform the customers, and that they know the systems and what to do when things get canceled out too early, ect. since they are so short staffed though, it seemed to me that my managers were just so stressed about getting the shifts covered to we were open that they just threw people on the floor. then they intended on going in later to make sure they knew everything...then someone else would quit and they would have to end up working 80 hrs that week doing our job, that they would not then get the opportunity to properly train them, so then they would quit in a couple weeks if not less, and the vicious cycle would just go round and round....Next time hun absolutely tell them you want to read every little word!!! really!!! your have every right to see it and we cannot refuse you that!! alot of times too, we seemed to get a rush of tanners right when we are signing everything with a new member, so new people especially get extrememly overwhelmed and forget things, and try to hurry with the new member because they can see that everyone there is getting pissed cause they have to wait when they pay this much a month, blah blah.....

really though your case just seems like as honest computer mess up, that new people had no clue what to do with. i will admit though corporate was not the friendliest with me on numerous occasions i dealt with them, but as i was leaving i know they had a very dramtic turn around as far as corporates customer service issues...heard some rumers i wont discuss, but pretty much all my encounters over the phone within the last couple months of my employment with them was surprisingly pleasant!!! :) dont give up on at the beach you certainly CANNOT find better tanning or lotions!! and there are lots of really good gals that do work there! the central and rock rd location is awesome, those girls know the systems, have been there awhile, and are super sweet!! they will take care of you!! feel free to put your email if you want to know some specifics, i would be more than happy to explain any details your not sure about, or if you want some tips on different lotions
:) (thats the funest part!!)