Complaint Review: At the Beach

• Updated: Tue, May 29, 2012

• Reported By: AnotherMom — Jenks Oklahoma United States of America
At the Beach
807 E A ST Jenks, Oklahoma United States of America

At the Beach At the Beach Tanning Salon Beware of Deceptive Business Practices, Lies, & Evasive Resolution Jenks, Oklahoma

*Consumer Comment: 100% True

*Author of original report: rebut to John

*Consumer Comment: Ignorance

I recommend that anyone who has dealt with this Tanning Salon in Jenks call the Jenks Police Department and file a complaint.  If this has happened to me, I know it has happened to others; I am in my 40's, professional, and very cautious about "contracts."

To summarize my experience:  I took my daughter in (August) for a one time spray tan (Mystic Tan). We OWN our own tanning bed; I don't need theirs.  When I called ahead for the price, the salesman told me $32 for a one time tan - to come on in.

When we arrived, while my daughter was getting sprayed, he "upsold" me by offering to let her get a spray tan once per week for a month for about $10.00 more.  I agreed that four tans for $42.00 was better than one for $32.00, so I said, 'lets do that.'

I signed typical paperwork giving my daughter permission; acknowledging the dangers of UV tanning, etc....(it didn't matter, she was getting sprayed).

The salesman swiped my card; flipped around a keypad for me to sign with an electronic signature....I stopped, noticing alot fine of print - and told him clearly: I am not signing any kind of a contract or a "recurring" contract.

He assurred me this was not the case. "Oh, no," he said.

I firmly reiterated, "I am going to ask you again, to be clear - is this some sort of recurring contract - we only want this one month with one session per week of spray tanning?"

Once again, he said he just needed my signature to complete the transaction.  By this point, my daughter was finished and acting embarrassed at my questioning the salesman.

BAD:  I signed the keypad, he printed out a few peices of paper and we left.  When I looked at the paperwork, he had charged my card for $75.00!!!  Ripoff#1

WORSE:  I was going to cancel at that moment, and my paperwork "contract" said I had to wait 24 hours to cancel.  What a scam!  I called their corporate headquarters; I have emailed their problem resolution address. They never answer their phone and have a scam system that puts you on hold indefinitely.  I have phone records showing the numerous times I have called them unsuccessfully.

BAD TO WORSE:  While trying to communicate and cancel the scam contract with them, I called their finance company who treated me even worse. They've since charged my card 2 more times for $75.00!  My bank said I would have to cancel the card to stop them because of the way they pinned the transaction, I couldn't just do a "stop payment."  At this point they have cost me $225.00.  Ripoff#2

OUTRAGEOUS:  They put my minor daughter's name on a contract and have been billing her. That has accumulated another $200.00.     Ripoff#3 fraudulently billing a minor

BOTTOM LINE: I never was told about a tanning contract.  I didn't even know such a thing existed. The salons I used in the past sold sessions in packages. I have emailed back and forth with their company; I have paperwork; I have my daughter as a witness to my questioning the salesman.

The only rebut would be -- read what you sign, but I had no idea it was a contract.  I thought I was signing a purchase like people do daily on keypads at Wal Mart or Target.  This creep knew exactly what he was doing and I wanted to let people know that they are not alone.  These people need to be stopped.

PS.  the BBB lists AT the Beach as an accredited business even though they have over 500 complaints.  That is equally outrageous.  There is no protection for the public.

I would love a lawyer who would file a suit; I just want my money back, my credit protected, and their company to be punished proportionately for $$$ they've made for their deceptive practices, the credit ratings they've destroyed, and difficulty and refusal to rectify problem.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2011 01:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/At-the-Beach/Jenks-Oklahoma-74037/At-the-Beach-At-the-Beach-Tanning-Salon-Beware-of-Deceptive-Business-Practices-Lies-Ev-805198. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on At the Beach

100% True

AUTHOR: Michelle - (United States of America)

I believe every single word of this report and know for a fact that their business practices are not legit. I signed up in Colorado several years ago, but moved to Arizona where their services weren't offered. I was told that my contract would be cancelled. Come to find out, not only did they not cancel the contract, they opened 3 more that were sent to collections and placed on my credit report. I filed a complaint and several months later I received a letter from Colorado's Office of Consumer Fraud. The letter stated:

Re:  At the Beach, Inc. et al., 11cv651, Denver District Court

Dear Consumer:

As you may be aware, the Colorado Attorney General reached a settlement agreement with At the Beach, Inc. on January 28th, 2011 to resolve allegations of deceptive trade
practices.  Per the terms of the settlement agreement, At the Beach, Inc. is required to halt
deceptive sales practices and must record its sales transactions.  In addition, At the Beach, Inc. was required to pay $75,000.00 to the state for reimbursement to Colorado consumers who filed a complaint after the settlement was announced.  You are receiving this correspondence per your complaint filed with our office regarding At the Beach, Inc.

A few moths later I received a check for $2500.00 and they were completely removed from my credit report. I would recommend that you look into filing a claim with your state if possible.

rebut to John

AUTHOR: AnotherMom - (United States of America)

1. You probably work there, or you wouldn't accuse someone of lying.
2. We wanted a spray tan. There were no 'worries.' Just didn't expect to be 'bald faced' lied to, especially after specifically questioning contract status.
3. I did get the 'contract' voided. They know its a scam.
4. If you sign a touch pad, the average person has no idea it scrolls with hidden information. Do you scroll your touch pad at Wal Mart? You would never think to do that.
5. It may be a cool place for some, but some of their employees obviously have integrity issues.

Ignorance

AUTHOR: Jon - (U.S.A.)

All I can say is buyers remorse and sounds like ur lying first off ur so worried about her tanning but yet u say u have a tanning bed at home. Second you had the opportunity obviously to read "the small print" as you stated before you signed so sounds like to me you knew what you was buying and she didn't like it and now ur stuck paying and u will say or do whatever to not have to pay your bill.