Complaint Review: Atlanta Blue Jays

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Open your eyes

*UPDATE Employee: Ex-Employee Who Played with The Player Who Quit

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Helping himself

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Truth

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Blue Jays Are A Rip Off (Son played this past year)

*General Comment: Real Reason?

*Author of original report: Are you serious!!

*General Comment: Atlanta Blue Jays

The Atlanta Blue Jays is a travel baseball team in Georgia and participates in numerous Baseball tournaments (especially Perfect Game Tournaments).

The team is led by Coach Anthony Dye.  Anthony Dye was a mediocre baseball player who never made it to the Big League, but he has been able to put together a nationally recognized program.  Those who have participated in his program understand that he is a con artist.  He promises that every player will obtain a college scholarship - which is an immediate warning.  Also - his tactics are very unethical.  He charges 100+ for tryouts and in the fall - everyplayer makes the team - but in the Spring - his selection is far more exclusive.

He will practice for many hours and make many demands of his players/parents - yet when it comes time for Tournaments.  He will not give some players ANY playing time WHATSOEVER!!!  One family paid for airfare and hotel accomodations to Phoenix, AZ - yet their son did not play at all during the entire weekend.  As a matter of fact, his name was not even on the roster.   When it is tournament time - he will add several players to the roster - just to do well in the tournament!!

These are players who have not paid, practiced or attended any meetings - yet they simply are given a uniform and they start, over players who have attended every practice and paid thousands of dollars!   He is a very dishonest man and his word is absolutely NOTHING.  Once the season starts - he is completely unaccesible - you can not reach him by phone, email or text and he refuses to return any phone calls.  His practices are fraudulent and his willingness to use and take advantage of people solely for money is reprehensible.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2011 01:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Atlanta-Blue-Jays/Atlanta-Georgia-/Atlanta-Blue-Jays-Anthony-Dye-False-promises-lies-rip-off-Atlanta-Georgia-791427. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Atlanta Blue Jays

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Investigate

AUTHOR: Concerned - (USA)

Since you did in fact talk with authorities, do you mind telling us who so we can follow up as well.  I wasn't able to find out the same information.  Is there actually an investigator assigned and charges, etc on a certain person?  We would hope that we could all get "together" in this (the ones affected) so we can find a solution.  In looking at the state records for this business, there are no new officers (Mr. Dye and a Lina Rodrigues are only officers listed). There are three (or possibly more) Atlanta Blue Jays companies with Mr. Dye as an officer.   The original one also listed an Atlanta police officer as an officer and it seems that corporation is still operating as well.  Previous accountant says that she has not done business with Mr. Dye since 2011.  In investigating, there are several issues of concern.  It appears that Mr. Dye is not really honest about the business or about many other things.  He doesn't provide necessary information to the state or other agencies as required.  You may not care what Mr. Dye's personal life involves, but some of us do care what type of people our sons are being influenced by.  The personal life of anyone who is spending so much time with our kids is important, no matter if he is a great baseball coach or not.  I have to say, after all the information I have obtained and after talking to many people who feel they were taken advantage of, integrity is definitely lacking.

Please help in providing the name of the investigator and/or case number or anything that would help in our efforts.  Thank you and best of luck to you and your son.

Response

AUTHOR: Serious12 - (USA)

My son played for the team this summer, and we were made aware of the fraud. We are in continuous communications with the authorities, who corroborate Coach Dye's story. We are satisfied as are other parents. There is your rebuttal!

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Open your eyes

AUTHOR: Insider - (USA)

The fact that you learned a lot about the game & it helped you in college ball is great. Again, nothing to do with the fact that the "owner" of the Blue Jays has not been honest. He had total control of the money so impossible for any employee to rip off any money unless it was himself. It amazes me that you all feel no reason to investigate because you learned a lot. People like you are the reason he gets away with all the deceit. He can tell you anything & you believe it.

Ex-Employee Who Played with The Player Who Quit

AUTHOR: Georgia Boy - (USA)

I want to set the record straight about the Atlanta Blue Jays.  The program is dedicated to its players.  It plays no politics and it plays no favorites.  For my ex teammate, and I know who you are, it did not work.  He often whined and complained and was lazy to boot. He was used to getting his own way and hence why he left the program, which he did when he was younger as well to go to the Blue Jays.

I loved playing for the program.  I learned how to grow up, be accountable, and be successful playing in college (which the person posted was not as successful) and continues to help me.  I am not checking financial records, because, I like most of the former Blue Jays, families, and current folks believed that the program was ripped off by a former employee.  It happens many times with companies unfortunately.  The fact that the team is trying to move forward and continue doing what it does as well as fixing the crime against them and help players at the same time only shows the true colors that the Blue Jays had-  TOUGH TIMES DON'T LAST, BUT TOUGH PEOPLE DO!

To this day I speak with many of the players with whom I played and we talk about the run we had with Perfect Game tournaments and the players who became men and those who tuck tailed and left.  You who posted is not one of those tough people.  Sure practices were grueling but so was college baseball, at least to us players who were successful.

Again, out of sincerity for the person who sends these anonymous reports, you are not anonymous.  Many of us who played with you know who you are and are not surprised in the least!  I am proud that I was a Blue Jay as are most all!  Sorry, cuz, that you were not one.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Helping himself

AUTHOR: Anonymous 2 - (USA)

I agree that the Blue Jays program carries a certain reputation, but Mr. Dye carries another.  Check with all of his former employers, former employees, former players.  There will always be some that defend him because of what they think he did for them, but what he did for himself was more important to him.  Think about it.  He "finds" good talent because he scouts and has Mr. Loureiro and others scout for him.  He doesn't really develop these players, but sees $$$ in his future so he gets most players who are already being sought after and coerces them and their parents.  He's a great talker.  He's always around baseball people and puts himself in the same light.  He never made it big, never even played D-1 baseball.  He does, however, know how to coach and talk. He fields good teams, gets  players from out of state and puts them up, so to speak.  His coaching and his ability to gain the trust of these kids (and show them a good time) is not the issue.  The issue is his integrity and his business practice.  He owes so many ex-families and ex-employees money that it's ridiculous.  The man is NOT who he says he is, period.  Listen to him and how he can help your kid.  Then, do something different than what he told you to do and you're dead to him.  Nothing I say is hearsay.  It's all first hand knowledge.

Websites are not at all representative of who a person is.  He doesn't even handle his own website.  The only thing he really handles, besides coaching, is the money.  That's where all current and new players/parents need to take issue.  Just ASK to see the financial records.  I was always paid in cash or money order.  Many parents wondered about the funds, especially when being asked for more when it came time to travel, but never were they shown any records.  I agree with the author who said AD's integrity will be his downfall.  With so many good baseball programs these days, players should find one where the coaches and employees are honest people.  Georgia is home to several good programs who can boast about getting kids signed as well.  They also offer more parent involvement.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Truth

AUTHOR: Anonymous2000 - (USA)

Guys I was there in the beginnings of the Atlanta blue jay organization so mid 2000s I'd say. Sounds like much hasn't changed. We used to use Anthony as our hitting and fielding instructor and when we signed our souls over to him and he had your money in his pocket he'd spend the whole 30-60 minutes on his earpiece talking on the phone.   Eventually he hired a coach for our age group who was mediocre at best. I wonder if he still works there. His name is Steve. Not a bad guy in general but he'd carry out Anthony's orders which was bad enough. When his older team began to perform very poorly it'd be taken out on us in the form of 4-5 hour long practices at Oglethorpe. And if one player was late or wore the wrong practice gear everyone had to run sprints. We'd do some fielding work and if we bobbled or made an error... Sprints. How the heck does that make you better. They tried to make us perform by installing fear in us. Real professional. He loves to play favorites. And if he sees that you have potential to earn him money or better his reputation he will flatter and work with you as much as possible. But if you lose his favor you might as well be dead. He would start showing up to our games and the atmosphere would become so tense because he'd yell at players. His personality was so bipolar. Happy go lucky and then intimidating and angry. Anyways, more about the organization.

We'd practice for hours and hours. And then for a tournament he'd bring in one or two supposed hot shots to help out. Who knows if they paid. I'm sure they didn't but even if they did that's such an unprofessional way to do things. And yes he would take your money and you wouldn't play at all. I rarely got that treatment but I sure saw it a lot with others. Finally after a really poorly coached game I walked off and eventually ended up playing for an east Cobb team and we came in third place in perfect game. Had one of the best coaches I've ever played for. Coach Coe who used to coach at kennesaw state. A true players coach and really pulled out my best playing for him. We lost to the team that I believe won by like two inches from an amazingly caught line drive by the opposing team. This was such a pleasant experience after years of the disaster that was Anthony Dye. Sounds like he's still running the same scam. Stay away unless your kid is a stud and irreplaceable on the field.

#7 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Blue Jays Are A Rip Off (Son played this past year)

AUTHOR: jcook36605 - ()

Wow, I wish I would have seen this 2500 dollars ago. That is before I wasted my money. My son went to the team excited to play. This is not a development baseball program. The coaches all coach at a highschool and they encourage players from their school to come out and play. Some baseball programs are all year round program, but Blue Jays are only for summer team traveling. They are not big on development, the coaches are there working in their on self interest which is to make their highschool players better. I was out there a month and took my son off the team. They will hold an 3.5 hour practice on weekday night and kids will be standing around the last 1.5 hours. They do a lot of facetime on the field to make it seems like they are professionals. I left there questioning all the coaches analytical skills...... No video analysis with their smart phone to correct anything they see that needed corrected. I had my son out there and they gave no input, in fact my son got sorry while playing out there cause they wasnt working on anything, just running and facetime. The teams does not even work together. The 15U team will be totally diff than the 16U team and so on.... And they are absolutely correct when they say once the season start  they dont response to phone calls and emails.... Dont wasted you money and time. I wasted money, but I didnt wasted time cause I saw where this was going after being out there for about 6 weeks. Never traving out of town with them, cuase they ask for addittional 800 for traveling fee outside the 2500 for the team. They said, we could not travel with the team if you do not pay it.... I never paid the 800 and decided to cut my lost.........Im so amaze how accurate that complaint was..........

#8 General Comment

Real Reason?

AUTHOR: Jello - ()

In one statement you admit it is a good program.  In another you say it is Mr Dye himself, which is it.  Son has been recruited by this team and so far all contact and info seems legit.  Was you complaint against the program or Mr Dye or the fact that the player mentioned didnt get play time?

Are you serious!!

AUTHOR: Baseballer - ()

You based your response to a LEGITIMATE complaint, from a visit to a website?!! Yes, we all know, in the informational age, a website is solid proof of character and validity!!!

You can never tell a baseball program's integrity by a mere website and to use one to counter a complaint speaks volumes of the author. Keep surfing and leave the comments to those of us with REAL-LIFE, FIRST-HAND experiences. Anyone who has been a part of the Anthony Dye's programs can tell you the pros and cons. The program has developed into a noteworthy one, but the man himself lacks integrity. This will be his downfall sooner or later, unless he changes, which is what we all hope for

#10 General Comment

Atlanta Blue Jays

AUTHOR: SpeaktheTruth - ()

From the previous remark sent 2 years ago, I find the information hard to believe and absolutely false.  I have gone onto the website www.atlantabluejaysbaseball.com and have seen that the program truly develops players and helps them succeed and transition to the next level.  They don't have tons of teams per age group, so it is apparent that the individual recognition and focus is paramount.  Furthermore, through the testimonial page, one can see how players and parents truly feel about the program.  Unfortunately, in baseball and in life, not all people are happy unless things are handed to them.  This program shows that you must earn it and the rewards for hard work are evident through their many draft picks.  Therefore, this program is a true testament to the fact that there are still people out there willing to help others succeed at their dreams!!!