rank

• Submitted: Fri, May 23, 2003
  • Updated: Sat, August 09, 2003

• Reported By:Arlington Virginia
Audiofile Home Theater
Bailey's Crossroads, VA Fredicksburg, Virginia U.S.A.

Audiofile Home Theater Scam at Stoplight in White Van Claimed They Were From Fredricksburg Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Boy, Do I Feel Lucky

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Audio.....heeeeeeeeem

I was at a stoplight when these two guys (looked like they were in their early 20's) motioned me to roll my window down. They claimed they had messed up an order and had some extra speakers to get rid of. I had to get gas so I told them to follow me into the gas station. They showed me the speakers and they seemed legit because the whole car was stocked with them. They said they had to give it back to their boss and that they wanted to make some party money off it. They said they were new to the area and did not know people to sell it to and so they wanted to make some extra cash off it.

I was leery but then decided I could just take it to a pawn shop and make a few dollars off it. I opened the box, everything seemed fine. I then call my brother who told me that I should try to find their tags because it might be a scam. I then went to a pawn shop, worried that I might have been out of $160 in cash and they said they never heard of the brand. THey then said the best they could do me for was $25!!!!!!!!!!!

So I looked up the brand online and found nothing but dead ends and then i found out that this site had this down. I at least paid in cash so no further damage can happen. But I feel like i should have been more cautious. Just be warned and try to get the tag number. They were texas plates. if anyone is out in the northern va area.

Kamal
Arlington, Virginia

*EDitor's Comment: Rip-off Report confirms contact info salesman misrepresentation ripoff

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/23/2003 08:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Audiofile-Home-Theater/Fredicksburg-Virginia/Audiofile-Home-Theater-Scam-at-Stoplight-in-White-Van-Claimed-They-Were-From-Fredricksburg-58133. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Audiofile Home Theater

Boy, Do I Feel Lucky

AUTHOR: Peggi - (U.S.A.)

About a year ago while at a Wa-Wa in Fredericksburg, Virginia, while I was in the store, two men in a blue van engaged my husband in a conversation. When I returned to our car, my husband told me that these "gentlemen" had an overstock of a home theater system and would sell it to us for $400. No, is the word that left my lips. Then the price went down to $300, and would I like to climb in the van and take a look dear? Again, I said no, that I did not need to look at anything that I wasn't interested in buying. I feel lucky that we didn't get taken on this apparent scam. Later my husband and I were talking and figured that it was either hot merchandise or empty speaker boxes. I wish we had gotten the tag numbers, and reported them to the police on the spot.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Audio.....heeeeeeeeem

AUTHOR: Dadow - (U.S.A.)

It is amazing what happened to all of as spicily in Northern VA. The same thing the guy in the van ask if I need speaker and I said let me see it, the he told this are the overstocks and his boss ask hi to sale it in the state, And I bought it fro 120.also he said on day we will drink beer together, because his sale the speaker for chip.