brick

• Submitted: Thu, July 22, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, September 23, 2004

• Reported By:San Antonio Texas
Audiofile
Babcock San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

Audiofile 583LR speaker scam San AntonioSan Antonio Texas

*Consumer Comment: Please all San Antonio Victims Come Forward!

I totally got caught in the rip-off scam regarding the sale of supposed Audiofile Home Theater 583LR speakers. I was washing my car at about 1330pm off Babcock between Medical and Wurzbach when a bunch of guys pulled up next to me in a silver/blue chevy tahoe and began aggressively selling me the speakers they had in the back of their vehicle.

I was approached by the first guy who was a white guy in his 20s wearing a baseball cap who gave me a story about how he was coming from Austin Tx to deliver a bunch of speakers and that they had made a mistake on the order. He also showed me a catalog which displayed these same speakers for some 1500 dollars each. I turned him down and went back to washing my car.

Then the Chevy tahoe pulled up containing four other guys not including the guy who had just approached me. Another white guy who was much better spoken than the first and was in fact quite charming started selling me the speakers and was also very aggressive in his approach.

I told him I just did not have the money to buy the speakers regardless of the cost. He was initially asking me to pay some 500-600 dollars for each speaker, but I kept declining and trying to disengage from him.

He eventually pulled out one of the speakers from the box to show it to me. It did appear to be a legitimate, high-quality speaker so I caved in and offered 300 dollars for both speakers. He eagerly agreed.

They followed me to my ATM at Wells Fargo off Medical with the second "salesman" accompanying me in my car after having placed the speakers in my trunk. When I got to the ATM he tried to bargain me up to 400 for both, I refused but agreed to 320 dollars for both. He agreed, took my money and quickly got into his tahoe with the four other guys and drove off.

Immediately afterward my instincts told me it was too good to be true that I had paid 160 dollars each for speakers supposedly worth 1500 each. I went online to check out these Audiofile speakers and found this site.

I can only warn people that the boxes containing these speakers if not the speakers themselves are quite impressive, until you hook up the speakers and discover they are pure crap!

Juan
San Antonio, Texas

*EDitor's Comment: Rip-off Report confirms contact info salesman misrepresentation ripoff

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2004 04:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Audiofile/San-Antonio-Texas-78229/Audiofile-583LR-speaker-scam-San-AntonioSan-Antonio-Texas-100120. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Audiofile

AUTHOR: Brandon - (U.S.A.)

Same story with me, I cant remember the date, probably same as Juan. They got me for $600 (ouch) because I am vary young and stupid! Two guys in the DARK BLUE SUV, Trail Blazer if I am not mistaken. I kept thinking to get the liscense down but before I got to a pen they were out of there so fast. Also got me for $20 in "beer" money...this is so lame I must have had my head up my ass that day 4 sure. Thats what greed gets ya, Anyway Juan if this site posts my phone # or email, please contact me I believe I know who the culprit here in San Antonio is, I am tracking him currently. Anyone from San Antonio that is a victim of this scam share details and names and together we can put an end to thisscam forever! Where it happened to me: Corner of IH-10W and Wurzbach in Colonade Shopping Center about 2PM in afternoon in the parking lot. Be on the look out!