Complaint Review: Author House

Author House
Bloomington, Indiana U.S.A.

Author House Hook ya on price, then skin n fry'em Bloomington Indiana

*Consumer Comment: AuthorHouse still scamming new authors ... that is so awlful

Got my book "published with Author House". FINALLY!??

Thought and asked several times was $799 going to be my final price, with out any printed books of course(those are priced according # in one production run). I was told "yes, thats all it takes for the production).

Got just hammered by another sales/marketing man, Convinced me, that I had to have this, that, and these promotional items. Newspaper adds, etc.. I bought in to way more than what I bargained for. For the almost 6,000 my "marketing rep said it was a GREAT plan". I sold more books self-promoting and doing my OWN book signs, than I did on the 6,000 "investment".

I wont even start about the pains of working with their publishing consultants, or their production team?? ehhh.. Nightmare and they stuck me with more production charges(on a finished script, already professionally edited..

Nickel and dime you to death, thats all they do. Book quality was OK; however, follow up and ordering books, is still a f'n pain. Was going to do book two with them, but even with the "discount" the headaches alone drove me to another publisher(self). Be careful out there as well in the Self Pub arena, Author Solutions(the parent company to Author House), owns a great deal of the industry. From word of mouth its just the same repackaged junk.

Sue
NY, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2008 11:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Author-House/Bloomington-Indiana/Author-House-Hook-ya-on-price-then-skin-n-fryem-Bloomington-Indiana-375702. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Author House

AUTHOR: Faith - (U.S.A.)

I know how you must feel for I also encountered same sickening business relations with them. I ended my contract with them and removed my book of the market. Did you find a decent publisher? According to authorhouse response to Attorney General of In. State that majority of publishing companies conducts business like them. That is why I haven't publish my 2nd book I am very sceptical.