Complaint Review: AuthorHouse Publishers

• Submitted: Thu, January 15, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, January 15, 2009

• Reported By:Rio RAncho, New Mexico
AuthorHouse Publishers
1663 Liberty Drive Bloomington, Indiana U.S.A.

AuthorHouse Publishing Hard-sell Tactics Rips Off Partially blind 75-Year-old Woman And Thumbs Nose at New Mexico Attorney General Office Bloomington Indiana

In October 2007, I entered into a contract with Authorhouse to publish my book, "El Mochito Sephardim From Northern New Mexico. The fee on the contract is $2,597.00. Five Hundred dollars was for Rapid Release and that sum has since been returned. The book is in two languages, English and Ladino, a Sephardic Jewish language, hence, could not be dropped in a one-size-fit-all program, which is what they did. The book was edited by top notch linguists.

From the beginning errors appeared each time they sent the galley for approvasl. In January 2008, I wrote an email to the saleperson, Pamela Jay, telling her about the problem with their system She didn't answer the letter, instead, called promising that everything would be corrected and my book would be very special. With each galley, errors kept cropping up. Again in February 2008, I wrote Ms. Jay another email asking her to return the money because the work was completely unacceptable and what they were doing was criminal including charging me for their mistakes. I informed her that I would be writing a letter to the NM Attorney General.

AuthorHouse knew from the inception that I was 75 and partially blind. The hard-sell phone calls began together with emails two and three times a day regarding corrected errors. The stress was more than I could handle so I signed the release for them to print the book praying that more errors would not crop up. In less then twenty four hours the book was printed and press releases nation-wide. Imagine my shock when my family saw errors throughout the book. I ordered AuthorHouse to stop the printing immediately because my reputation was at stake. I am a published writer however, "El Mochito" is my first novel. It's plastered on the internet.

On April 14, 2008, I wrote a letter to the NM Attorney General's Office. The Office gave them ten (10) days to respond to my allegations. Nine months later Authorhouse has thumbed its nose at the Attorney General's Office who continues asking for their response. Nothing! Ignored! Mine is not the only complaint. The internet lists several lawsuits which Authorhouse has lost. As an American Consumer, I want justice.

Sincerely, Jo

Jo
Rio RAncho,, New Mexico

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2009 06:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AuthorHouse-Publishers/Bloomington-Indiana-47403/AuthorHouse-Publishing-Hard-sell-Tactics-Rips-Off-Partially-blind-75-Year-old-Woman-And-Th-412630. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AuthorHouse Publishers