Complaint Review: AuthorHouse

• Updated: Fri, February 18, 2011

• Reported By: AggravatedTexan — Frisco Texas United States of America
AuthorHouse
1663 Liberty Drive Bloomington, Indiana United States of America

AuthorHouse rip-off, scam, bait-and-switch, books, book, publisher, fraud Bloomington, Indiana

AuthorHouse is a SCAM.
They use Bait-and-Switch tactics and downright lies.
Stay away from them!

My problem could have been worse.  I got out before getting seriously screwed - and will hopefully get my $$ back.  Here's the abbreviated version:

So a salesperson by the name of Kathryn calls me after filling out an online form, tells me I can get my 1st photography book published by AuthorHouse for $1700 in a POD arrangement - and they'll throw in another book for free. (the standard arrangement these days, it seems) We discuss the arrangments in detail. # of images, # of pages, etc. No changes in price, no issues. So I sign up. Pay them 1/3 down & get a confirmation.
Then a call from Jeff. Soon to be my best buddy in getting my book published. Yay!
But wait! Jeff says I only get 50 images set for the package price. Anything over that is $10.00 each. NFW! That almost doubles the price of my book - and no one up till now has made a peep about extra charges.

So days go by. I leave at least 6 messages for Jeff, his boss Steve, Kathryn (the initial liar I spoke with) and Kevin's assistant, Vicky. Every time I call, I'm told whomever I'm calling for is at lunch. No response to voicemails. No response to emails.
Seems like as soon as I called them on their bait-and-switch tactics I was persona non grata.

These people are clearly a complete rip-off and I wish I'd researched them more thoroughly.

I recommend filing a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General if you feel they've screwed you.
I have.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/18/2011 04:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AuthorHouse/Bloomington-Indiana-47403/AuthorHouse-rip-off-scam-bait-and-switch-books-book-publisher-fraud-Bloomington-In-697222. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AuthorHouse