Complaint Review: Auto Computer Solutions

• Updated: Wed, July 24, 2013

• Reported By: Joe — Hudson Florida
Auto Computer Solutions
8040 NW 95 St. Ste. 222 Hialeah Gardens, Florida USA

Auto Computer Solutions Ineffective Upgrade of Lexus Engine Computer Hialeah Gardens Florida

I first contacted this company by email in early August of 2012, after seeing a number of positive reviews on Ebay. My ’95 Lexus LS400 was having issues with a check engine light, difficulty cold starting, low idle, and off-throttle shuddering that I thought were due to the engine computer (ECU). The remedy, per my Internet research, was upgrading of the ECU from an 89661-50220 to a 50224. When I asked if they could do this, their only response was, “Send in the computer with the VIN and we will program it to the software you need.”

On 8/15/12, I spoke to them by phone. They now said, almost adamantly, that the cold start problem was due to hardware, not software.  They asked me, when I shipped the ECU, to send in my VIN, mileage, and a list of problems so that they could make the necessary upgrades. I did, including a detailed letter of problems and what I had done thus far.

After receiving it, they told me by phone on 8/22 that they had found damage to the board, due to leakage, with some circuits showing open. They said they replaced the damaged parts and updated the software, making it the equivalent of a 50224. At least, that’s what I thought I heard, since these folks are very hard to understand over the phone, and frankly, I think they want it that way.

Upon receipt and re-installation of the ECU, the car started right up, with higher idle. But I immediately got a check engine light. And within days, it was back to difficult cold starts and subsequent low idle. When I called them about it on 8/31, they said they had done a full upgrade. And only now did they say that my recurring check engine light for the ECT sensor (which I had twice replaced) was not due to the ECU.

Having wasted $200 and a significant amount of time, I filed a complaint with the BBB. When ACS called me about it on 12/28/12, the caller did not ask my name nor did he give me his. Instead, he proceeded to scorn me by saying repeatedly, “So you filed with them without first calling us?” I hung up, but not before telling him I didn’t appreciate his smug attitude. I never heard from them again.

A few weeks later, I moved to the greater Atlanta area and had Nalley Lexus look at the car. They found a problem with the ECT sensor and wiring and fixed it, eliminating the cold start and CEL issues. However, the problems with low idle and shuddering remain, which were supposed to end with their presumed ECU upgrade to a 50224.

Beware of these people. They intentionally don’t take American Express to keep you from cancelling payment if you think they’ve misled and/or cheated you. And if you want a refund, they first make you re-ship them the computer, with you paying the S&H. And they always have the fallback position that, “…your vehicle may have other issues that need attention.”

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/24/2013 07:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Auto-Computer-Solutions/Hialeah-Gardens-Florida-33016/Auto-Computer-Solutions-Ineffective-Upgrade-of-Lexus-Engine-Computer-Hialeah-Gardens-Flor-1069873. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Auto Computer Solutions