Complaint Review: Auto World Sales and Services LLC

• Updated: Sun, June 12, 2011

• Reported By: lied269 — Honesdale Pennsylvania USA
Auto World Sales and Services LLC
940 Catasauqua Road Whitehall, Pennsylvania United States of America

Auto World Sales and Services LLC Bill Shihab My engine blew up and they claim no responsibility! Whitehall, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Let's See Here...

I bought a vehicle from Auto World Sales and Service in Whitehall / Allentown PA.  The dealer/owner (Bill) was very nice to me, calling me friend, and saying my wife and I were very nice people.  The vehicle was a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ which seemed to be in great condition, including the Carfax.  We elected not to purchase the warranty...our mistake, but it doesn't excuse the dealer.  Listen on.

The vehicle drove great for 7 days with no problems at all.  On the 8th day of ownership, the vehicle began overheating on my hour drive to work.  The temp never went into the red, so I coaxed it in.  During the last 15 minutes of the drive or so, the engine began knocking/pinging intermittently.  Once at work, I looked under the hood and didn't see any smoke or liquid leakage.

I attempted to drive the vehicle home after work, keeping the temp below the red mark.  20 minutes into the drive, the engine started making loud sounds and the temp spiked to the maximum limit.  Quickly after that the engine quit and I pulled to the side of the road.  I opened the hood and the car was belching oil and smoke from the engine.

I had the vehicle towed to a mechanic and called the dealer the next day.  He said that it was a shame I didn't buy the warranty....he was right....and that he would fix it "if it was cheap" and if I had it towed to his garage....an hour and a half away.  I told him I would call him back after speaking with my mechanic.

I spoke with the mechanic the following day and he told me that the engine was blown and that he couldn't fix it, so I took it to an engine mechanic.  THIS IS WHERE THE STORY GETS GOOD!  The mechanic listened to the story and agreed that the engine was fried.  Long story short, I spoke to him while he was beginning to remove the engine from the vehicle and he said the engine had definitely been "opened up before," and that there were a "bunch of bolts missing."  The starter was only held on by one bolt.

I called the dealer the next day and he said he could not believe what I was saying (that's fair).  I told him I would have my mechanic sign an affidavit stating what he found and he said it still didn't matter....he was not at fault and took no responsibility for it.  He kept saying that I drove it for 8 days with no problem.  That's my point exactly.....I ONLY DROVE IT FOR 8 DAYS AND IT BLEW UP!

He said his mechanic had "looked the vehicle over" and found no problems and that the vehicle didn't come from him in that condition.  My mechanic can attest that it did.  The dealer said he was not responsible and that he would not compensate me in any way.

I believe I have two cases against him.  The first is that he sold me a vehicle that was clearly a bucket of bolts....HALF A BUCKET I suppose!  The second is that he sold me an unsafe vehicle.  The vehicle had a PA State Inspection sticker on it and it clearly was not safe to drive.  I was not surprised to find that the same dealer was involved in litigation of the same sort in 2010.  Go to http://citysquares.com/b/auto-world-service-sales-1655410 and read the bottom comment if you want to see for yourself.

A long story to make a short point:  Auto World Sales and Service in Whitehall / Allentown PA ripped me off!  If anyone can provide any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/11/2011 08:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Auto-World-Sales-and-Services-LLC/Whitehall-Pennsylvania-18052/Auto-World-Sales-and-Services-LLC-Bill-Shihab-My-engine-blew-up-and-they-claim-no-responsi-739747. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Auto World Sales and Services LLC

Let's See Here...

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

As you were driving this car you noticed the car was overheating.  Even though the guage did not go into the "red", it indeed was hot.  But you chose to drive it anyway.

You were offered a warranty but you declined, which means you bought this car "AS IS".  "AS IS" means you are buying the car complete with any and all problems it may have.

You now allege there is something unsafe with this car.  Then why did you buy it?  The overheating has nothing to do with any alleged unsafe matters with the car.  Could be you are just looking for some way to find fault with this dealership.

In 2010, you said this place was involved in litigation.  Why did you not find this out BEFORE you even went thru their door?

HOWEVER...no respectable dealer will sell a car with known problems because they want each and every customer to be completely satisfied.  If these problems were as obvious as you claim, then it sounds like they need to hire a REAL MECHANIC unless this place is a schlock operation which does not care about customers.

Since you say these problems were obvious and their "mechanic" (if that's what you want to call him) failed to see them, then buying a warranty would have been useless.  There is no point in having a warranty if the place which is going to fix it has the skills of a cockroach.

Everyone should be a smart consumer.  But I do think the time is long overdue when some type of regulation is needed to prevent and enforce dealers from selling junk.

sauce