Complaint Review: Auto Zone Store

• Submitted: Sat, April 05, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, February 13, 2011

• Reported By:Chapel Hill North Carolina
Auto Zone Store
3438 Hillsborough Street Durham, North Carolina U.S.A.
  • Phone: 919-309-4892
  • Web:
  • Category: Mechanics

Auto Zone Auto Zone Store Put My LIFE In Danger... Durham North Carolina

*General Comment: Just Wow

*UPDATE Employee: You....

*UPDATE Employee: Sorry, but I think you have bad info...

*Consumer Comment: The liability is limited to your damages

*Consumer Comment: Yes they will

*Consumer Comment: Run on alternator?

*Consumer Comment: You'll get the same amount in Court that you paid

I went to Auto Zone and purchased a new car battery and the employee installed the battery in my car for me. After the installation of the new battery my car cut off twice after that, once in the middle of the street and once in a wal-mart parking lot. I went to the wal-mart auto center and they told me that not only had the Auto Zone employee installed the battery incorrectly, but he forgot to secure a piece on the battery which secures the battery on it's terminal. The reson my car was cutting off was becuase one it was loose and kept slipping off of the terminal and two a wire was not secured correctly.

The mechanic also told me that if the battery had kept slipping off of the terminal it could have hit the alternater causing the car to explode. I'm thinking about taking legal action but not certain what I can do. I could have been driving and went over a pot hole or a speed bump and my car could have exploded. I have called the regional office and the customer service line but customer service keeps directing me to the regional office which will not return my phone calls.

Lisapooh142000
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/05/2008 12:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Auto-Zone-Store/Durham-North-Carolina/Auto-Zone-Auto-Zone-Store-Put-My-LIFE-In-Danger-Durham-North-Carolina-323923. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Auto Zone Store

#1 General Comment

Just Wow

AUTHOR: Joshua - (United States of America)

Dude
1) Auto zone can counter sue you for suing them by law
2) any place would say anything just to get you to buy parts
3) exploding alternetor? Never in a million years has that ever happened. If the alternator get over charged it will mostlikely melt the coils and break the electric current which by default the car is to either stop or drain its next power source which is the battery.
4) i kinda think your making this such a big drama and should settle down.

You....

AUTHOR: samlm90 - (United States of America)

are an idiot. And you go to Walmart to fix a problem that someone else made? Really? Talk about counter-productive....

Sorry, but I think you have bad info...

AUTHOR: PSM69 - (USA)

Sorry, I think your information isn't correct. When driving, if the terminal comes loose, all that is going to happen is that the alternator will not be able to recharge your battery. The battery is used to start your car, and after that, your alternator is what supplies the power to run it. Most alternators these days actually have a max load of 120 amps, so if your car was "cutting off" you have other problems.

The liability is limited to your damages

AUTHOR: Aaron - (U.S.A.)

Which is the price of the battery and any labor your may have spent. Changing out a battery is not hard and can be done by anyone. Sorry to hear he messed it up but since you should have been under the hood with him why didnt you notice.

Also the chances of the car exploding were small, even the chances of the battery exploding were small. That was drama and in Wal-Mart's case it was getting you to buy from them next time.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Thegreatpudini - (U.S.A.)

I'm a an ex employee any thing an auto zoner does once they leave the buildings the kindness out of their heart. So no warranties I mean I always told customers '' Is their anything you signed? Think about that before someone touches your car. No agreement no liability at all.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Yes they will

AUTHOR: Gabriel - (U.S.A.)

unless it is the alternator that has gone bad. Ol' Lisapooh never mentioned that she had the battery tested, just that she went to Auto Zone to purchase a battery.

Run on alternator?

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

I haven't worked on cars in years but the cars I used to work on (70's and earlier) would run without a battery at all once you got it started. If the battery got disconnected the battery light would come on but the car would run until it was turned off. The alternator had enough capacity to run the engine without the battery at least for a while. Then of course it wouldn't start again.

Will they still do that?

You'll get the same amount in Court that you paid

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You paid ZERO to have the battery installed, and that is all you will get in compensation.

First, you have this report posted under the heading of "Mechanics". AZ has no mechanics. They have parts sellers. You went to AZ because you knew repair shops with Mechanics would actually charge labor for installation, plus the typical markup on the baterry itself. You figured it would be CHEAPer to go the Zone and have one of their NON-Mechanics install it.

Second, whoever the genius is who told you an alternator will cause your vehicle to explode is a blithering idiot.