Complaint Review: Auto Zone (manager; Greg Jackson)

• Submitted: Fri, January 03, 2003
  • Updated: Sun, March 05, 2006

• Reported By:Burbank IL
Auto Zone (manager; Greg Jackson)
7835 W. 79TH ST Bridgview, Illinois U.S.A.

Auto Zone (manager; Greg Jackson) rip-off deceptive company false promises m Bridgview Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Database not completely 100% accurate

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: buying a repair manual

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Autozone goes out of their way for customers

My boyfriend and I had truck problems and we went to Auto Zone to get Calipers and a Master Cylinder and Brake Shoes. The people over there told us what to do to fix the truck. We did exactly what they told us to do. The truck still had no brakes.

We called and told them that one of the Calipers had to be wrong because the line was stretched out way to far. They yelled at us over the phone and said we gave you the right ones, the computer can't be wrong. They then told us to bleed the brakes again. We said we did and we still have no brakes. They said do it again.

We bleed the brakes again and in the end still no brakes. We got so fed-up with it. We were running out of money being spent on brake fluid and gas to go to one place and the next, we took the truck to a shop. The shop called us 4 hours later and said " you boneheads, you have the wrong Calipers! Having the wrong Calipers on and bleeding the brakes so much, you blew the lines, hoses, and the Portion Valve. This is going to cost you Big Money!

We went to Auto Zone and told them what had happened. We were only talking to them in a normal voice and they got all defensive. They said there part are good, nothing could be wrong. We said you talk to our mechanic then he will tell you what happened. The manager Greg Jackson walked up and we told him what happened and he said the same thing. He even told us the mechanic was ripping us off. Finally after an hour of arguing, he said "Fine, bring the bad parts and I'll refund those." We were like, what about the truck that's in the shop?
He said "I'll pay for the parts and hlf the labor." and then gave us a card with his name on it.

We went to the shop and told the manager over there that he would have to give us a bill with the price for the parts and how much in labor costs. It came to $232.?? and we were like, wow, not bad. Auto Zone would have no problem with that. Yeah Right, Big Mistake!!! The manager Greg Jackson had a fit. He said he already paid for the parts. I said the only parts you paid for were the parts we returned to you. He said the shop didn't by the parts from us so we can't pay for them. That's lie number 1. The cost for the parts was only $76.00! Come on, I mean, really!

Then we asked him about the labor costs and he had a fit about that. The labor cost was $150.00. We were so angry already, I had to tell my boyfriend to go take a walk. Finally, he called me over after an hour of waiting, and said we get no receipt and handed me an envelope with only $90.00. That's not enough to get the truck out. What do we do?

Jennifer
Burbank, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2003 12:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Auto-Zone-manager-Greg-Jackson/Bridgview-Illinois/Auto-Zone-manager-Greg-Jackson-rip-off-deceptive-company-false-promises-m-Bridgview-Ill-39934. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Auto Zone (manager; Greg Jackson)

Database not completely 100% accurate

AUTHOR: Brad - (U.S.A.)

I'll first say that I am an ex-employee of AutoZone, the store that I worked at is a well respected store and is drivin by the code of "Whatever it takes to get the job done." But sadly, there are those few bad apples that can make a whole company look bad. But anyway, I know for a fact that the parts database is not 100% accurate. How do I know this? Because I own a 2002 Dodge Stratus Coupe w/ a 3.0 V-6 and any time I'm looking for parts for it, which is very infrequently, only 50k miles on it, they have to look it up under a Mitsubish Eclipse because when they look up under a Dodge Stratus, it only lists a 2.7 engine option or less. That's only 1 car, so how may others could be affected by this? Hmmm, my guess is that the original poster got the wrong brake calipers as her mechanic has told her.

Just my .02 cents.

P.S. To the original poster, I would suggest you get the regional manager's name and report him. If you get no satisfaction, go to the regional manager's boss, etc.

Good Luck

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

buying a repair manual

AUTHOR: Don - (U.S.A.)

I don't see any mention of you buying a repair manual. Available for about $15. Would have saved alot of headaches.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Autozone goes out of their way for customers

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I understand that you may be upset with the employees that helped you at that particular autozone. While I was working my way through college I worked at autozone for a few year as a PSM...(parts sales manager). You have to understand that not every associate of autozone is ASE certified or has mechanical experience, their job is mostly to sell parts and have good knowledge of how they function.

One store of bad employees should not hurt the name of autozone. I as long as many other associates satisfied customers with our excellent customer service. Generally parts houses are supposed to sell parts and sell parts only! But we did far more then that. Autozone offered equipment testing ranging from batteries, alternators, ignition coils, ignition modules, various sensors and we also installed batteries, wiper blades and we read " check engine codes", for crying out loud people what else do want?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

reveal