Complaint Review: AutoZone #1308

• Submitted: Sat, October 04, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, August 27, 2009

• Reported By:Houston Texas
AutoZone #1308
2414 Bay Area Blvd. Houston, Texas U.S.A.

AutoZone #1308, Philip Easterbrook (assoc), Shawn (mgr) Battery Replacement: Charging a defective battery to perform a load test is a SCAM Clear Lake City Houston Texas

* : Problem is probably your car.

* : Let me explain the process

*Consumer Suggestion: Sorry but the guys at Autozone are correct.

*Consumer Comment: The battery must be FULLY CHARGED to do a load test.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I purchased a defective Duralast Gold battery and returned it on 10/3/08; within 9 months of the 8 year warranty at Store #1308. I received poor customer service from Phillip Easterbrook. His replies to my concerns replacing the defective battery, which could not start my car, were not only received with resistance, but also with arrogance, cockiness, rude, and unsympathetic behavior. He said he had to charge the battery to perform a load test and didn't want to lose the store 100 doallars. I had no choice but to leave the battery.

I called the District Manager, Jackie at 713-643-9494, Autozone District Office, 6629 Telephone, Houston, TX, whereby I had to leave a message with her secretary. Later, the store manager, Shawn (#1308) called with a rationale why the battery needed to be charged for a load test. I returned to see the load test, which was shown as a "pass".

My complaint is that charging the battery to perform a load test only yeilds a false positive and masks the defective nature of the battery. I explained this to Manager Shawn and he strongly disagreed with my concerns. Thus, I told him, what if this happens again and I cannot start my car, because the battery is defective for the same reason I am here? His reply is that the problem lies with my car. In other words, I am on my own and he cannot help me out. Therefore, what he is saying, is that I have lost 100 dollars, a battery, and my car is inoperative.

Listen, I have not received any plausible answers. To me this sounds like a scam. I know that my car is in good condition and the problem is not my fault. So the store manager theorizes with unknown anomalies as justification to turn a customer away. Also, I see that they played the "bad cop" and "good cop" routine in order for me to leave the store without a replacement. This is not good business practice. I, as a customer in good faith had purchased a battery with my hard earned money, and in good faith, I was returning the battery for a replacement; within the warranty period. I didn't want a refund, just a replacement. Now, with this game playing with my time & money, I want a refund.

The problem lies with the district manager who did not handle this problem herself with expediency and with your store# 1308, who promotes bad customer service; a manager who does not want repeat customers by providing a "pass" to his employee(s) who turn away customers.
Therefore, what Autozone is telling me is that I bought a useless, defective, expensive battery, and are directly misleading customers with their "warranty."

Please advise

CC
Better Business Bureau

Alberto
Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/04/2008 11:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AutoZone-1308/Houston-Texas-77058-1520/AutoZone-1308-Philip-Easterbrook-assoc-Shawn-mgr-Battery-Replacement-Charging-a-de-378376. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AutoZone #1308

#1

Problem is probably your car.

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

If they charged the battery and checked it in your presence, checking good, then the problem is most likely your automobile.   Unless you had your electrical system checked, there's no way you can say your car isn't the problem.   It could be a Parasitic Drain which is a low current draw short in your electrical system.   You alternator diode could be bad, allowing the battery to drain through the alternator.   You also might have a bad starter.   Believe it or not, most shops don't have the battery charging and testing equipment Auto Zone does.

#2

Let me explain the process

AUTHOR: TSTKJT - (USA)

Hello,

Let me help you with explaining why your battery had to be charged before you can test it. A battery fully charged has 12.6 volts in it. Anything below a 12.4 can not be tested accurately without it being charged 1st.

You have to have a fully charged battery in order to get it tested. Can you test a dead person for a pulse? They would need to have life in them in order to get a pulse correct? if they are barely breathing you can get a slight pulse but not an accurate one. That is why your battery has to be FULLY charged in order to get a reading. And let me also say that Autozones battery testers do not say pass. The battery tester would have said one of the following: Good, Bad or good low charge. The alternator or starter tester would say pass or fail. And further more are you sure it isnt your car? Why did you need a new battery in the first place. Any customer is more than welcome to watch and see the battery tester test the battery and see the results on the screen.

I am a proud AutoZone employee.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Sorry but the guys at Autozone are correct.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

Alberto,

A car battery is not a nuclear power plant. It is not guaranteed to supply electrical power to your car for 8 years. A battery's job is to store electrical energy that is generated by your car's electrical system, then release it when you need to start the engine. The test performed at Autozone does exactly that. They charge the battery to its maximum capacity, then the load tester verifies whether or not it is releasing the required amount of energy.

You say, "I know that my car is in good condition and the problem is not my fault.". I would suggest that if your battery is accepting a charge and passing a load test, that the problem is very likely your car. It's charging system has a number of components and if they're not all working correctly, the battery will not charge. I suggest having your charging system tested.

I don't work for autozone, but I have worked on car, motorcycle and aircraft electrical systems for a couple of decades.

The battery must be FULLY CHARGED to do a load test.

AUTHOR: Andromeda - (U.S.A.)

Atrevino
Houston, Texas

Atrevino,

The battery must be FULLY CHARGED to do a load test. If it is not, you will get false results.

The reason is explained with Electrical Circuit Theory. I won't go into that unless you really want me to because it involves some electrical mathematics.